2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

installed posi lok, but still having problems..

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 01:36 AM
brandonb1481@yahoo.com
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down installed posi lok, but still having problems..

okay so i got the posi lok in, and me and a friend installed it. also put new diff fluid in it. everything went together good. and we went to test it. and i had my friend check for front tire spin. and it did. but after that it wont go in. not at all. we have tried multiple times. we were thinking it was the adjustment of the cable. and i was looking online and some posi loks have the hose plugged into the front of it like it used to. but mine doesnt. it has a black small screw in. what should i do? its stil being real torqy when i put it in 4 low but still only back tire spin.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:40 AM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker

The hose is the axle vent it needs to be there. As far as it not engaging, are you just pushing the button and pulling it out? If so try to creep forward and twist the know out.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:09 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

a whole bunch of random questions-

did it lock and unlock that first time and was it up on jackstands ?
does it work when on jackstands and not work when on the ground?
have you tried stopping, and continuously pulling on the cable **** while backing up, or easing forward?
was it sluggish to engage like this before you installed posilok?
did you engage the fork around the collar?
did the collar easily slide back an forth between the 2 shafts?
is the bushing between the 2 shafts tight, so they stay aligned?
is the large bushing/bearing on the intermediate shaft tight so it doesn't flop around?

mine was like this. it was sluggish to engage with vac cad, and very difficult but not impossible with posilok. i had to mess with it by stopping/forward/back, pull/push and eventually it would slide.

i lived with it until i removed both inner and outer axle when replacing seals, and found that both my small and large bushing was worn out (affecting alignment) and my collar and axle had serious burrs on the splines which reduced the clearances on the end, making it difficult to slide the collar back and forth. with all that laying on the bench, it was easy to fix with a hand file.

if you have these conditions, slide the outer axle out a little ways to expose the splines and bushings and have a look. pull the outer axle to replace the small bushing and file the burrs. remove the collar and file any burrs.

the collar has to easily slide on/off with a minimum of effort with/without the wheels turning.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:39 PM
brandonb1481@yahoo.com
Amateur

i wonder why it came with a little black screw in thing to fit in there? when we tested it i rolled it onto all ice and only my back tires would spin. and i would press the botton and pull the cable and it would stay in place. but i didnt try pulling on it while backing up and moving. and i put everything back the way i took it out. and my fork was in perfect shape. and everything inside the axle looked good. i guess ill have to take it off again to check all of that stuff. ill look at it in the garage

Old 01-06-2013, 05:38 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

what is the little black screw in thing?

Old 01-06-2013, 05:51 PM
brandonb1481@yahoo.com
Amateur

ill go outside now and take a picture and post it

Old 01-06-2013, 07:03 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

i see a vent hose fitting - its a black screw-in thing.
see some old pics here.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...installed.html

Old 01-06-2013, 09:40 PM
Timothy Watrous
Professional

Originally Posted by brandonb1481@yahoo.com
i wonder why it came with a little black screw in thing to fit in there? when we tested it i rolled it onto all ice and only my back tires would spin. and i would press the botton and pull the cable and it would stay in place. but i didnt try pulling on it while backing up and moving. and i put everything back the way i took it out. and my fork was in perfect shape. and everything inside the axle looked good. i guess ill have to take it off again to check all of that stuff. ill look at it in the garage

try putting it into 4x4

Quick Reply: installed posi lok, but still having problems..