2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

what price tag should i put on my 97 ram sst 100k miles lifted

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 01:15 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find that price range overwhelmingly hard to believe. My 2001 RCSB, 5 speed, 4x4, mint interior, exterior was good when I bought it (not so much now), with 125k miles was bought for $4000. And many other people here have bought there trucks for well below that price you listed.

I think most people when buying a truck, especially if it's 2wd, don't want to buy it lifted...they want it stock. However, you may get lucky if some kid wants to buy a lifted truck to show off to his friends.

Last edited by Matt Nickerson; 01-09-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Being it's an SST, it would actually be worth MORE WITHOUT the lift and such.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:25 PM
dlyter09
Champion

You see those price tags cause most people actually think they can get what they put into it.. Or they think their truck is made of gold and just to ignorant to see it for what its worth... I paid 7k for my truck... Had 82k miles on it and was in mint condition... I put well over 3k into it and if I wanted to sell it I would list it I wouldnt be asking more than 3k... Its what its worth... No more.. If your truck was bone stock in mint condition it would be worth maybe 5 or 6k.... But its not stock and its got over 100k miles.. Trans problems due to other mods and you just dropped a whole lot off that price tag.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:26 PM
CSDavies26
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've tried to sell a lifted vehicle before and believe me, it's not easy. You really have to find the right person and convince them that the mods were done well and will hold up. I've found that suspension mods do NOTHING to add to the price of the truck. The sst package won't mean anything to a non-dodge person. the fact that its in good shape cosmetically is a plus, but you may as well take the lift off it and sell that separately, thats what i did and ended up making good money on the whole thing.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:20 PM
dlyter09
Champion

Everyone thinks if you put a thousand dollar lift on a 500 dollar truck that you can sell it for 1500.. Just dont work that way lol...

Old 01-09-2013, 07:30 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

Knock off at least 1k for those ugly wheels.

In all honesty, like said above, it's lost value due to the lift. Most people that would actually seek out an SS/T want it stock height or lowered a bit, not lifted. You might be able to find a buyer that has no clue what the truck really is, but it's not going to be at 6500. But a person that knows what it is will be far below that, IMO.

Not trying to beat you up, just my view. I've been searching for a low mile stock SS/T or Indy Ram in good condition for a couple years now; if I found one in near-immaculate condition, I'd be happy to spend in the 6-8k range. If said truck were lifted, the appeal just dropped and I'd be in the 4k range, again for near immaculate condition. It's nothing to take off a lift, just more work (or money) the buyer would have to shell out.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:51 PM
Halojm
Professional

Originally Posted by tristen23
well im expecting then trans to be fine when i sell it... 100k orig. miles inside is mint ..sst package ...$1200.00 wheels an tires idk maybe i shouldnt have posted this lol i was just looking at other similar rams 97 2wd lifted (not even the sst) an a clean 97 lifted with around 180k is selling for 67-8700 some are extended cabi thought 6500 would be fair considering the sst an 100k orig. miles also all other dodges have horrible paint problems an interior problems
You are not going to get the $$ out of it what you put in it. Lift tires etc. when all said and done its a 97 ram SST. That's all nothing more. With 100,000 miles. It's not a classic car so saying "original" miles is irrelevant. If your lucky you might find a lollipop out there that thinks its totally cool, and give you your asking price. Anyone else will check KBB and see what it's actually worth, and then deduct the fact it's been ruined with a lift kit, and big ole tires.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:03 PM
lbzrango
Rookie

If it was 4wd i think you get 6500, but only being 2wd drop atleast 2000. imho

Old 01-09-2013, 08:26 PM
baileysoffroad
Veteran

I hate to chime in with the other side of things as these are all valid and respectable statements and they are right....However...All of these guys know a lot about these trucks...there issues etc. The common guy out there does not....this can work in your favor.

There are a great many commoners that might look into the truck and say "well kbb says this for a stock truck but this guys truck has so many upgrades its worth a bit more" they may consider the amount they would have to spend to get it to look like that if its a look they wanted.....lots of ppl also like instant gratification and/or may not have a clue how to make it look like that on their own...

Thats your target group...Looks CAN sell...I just sold my 4 cyl 5 spd 90 wrangler for 3500 bux in ny because of its 5" lift and 33" bfg's, bull bar etc. It had a couple rust through spots on the rockers but was undercoated and the tub had been sprayed...top end rebuilt, yes i did it...no shop receipts...but it was the look alone that sold the truck.

Granted...i had paid 3k for it (purely based on timing an necessity) and then put 1500 into it...so i still took a loss.

So anyway the guys are right...youll probably sell it to some younger individual excited about its looks...but your not going to sell it to anyone who has a clue about the trucks potential fail points etc.

Lets also not forget car flipping is a huge business just like houses and folks make a lot of money buying fixing an selling....there is a dealership in NJ that takes and lifts everything he gets and sells for a premium...its the looks that sell em...difference here might be he offers financing and may even warranty the lifts...im not sure on that one.

Still like I said originally....it being a 2wd really stinks...considering you went the way of making it look like a 4wd your target group thatll be interested will really want it to be a 4wd.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:29 PM
baileysoffroad
Veteran

Originally Posted by merc225hp
Do you really want input on this cuz you not going to like what you get. I think I would be hard pressed to get that for mine.
Are you feelin this yet? lol When hes right..hes really right...and hes right most of the time.

Quick Reply: what price tag should i put on my 97 ram sst 100k miles lifted