2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001, 2500 cummins auto Transmission or transfer case prob???

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 09:35 PM
captmarkhd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001, 2500 cummins auto Transmission or transfer case prob???

Hey guys,
So I was just down in Costa Rica where I have my truck that I use to pull my charter fishing boat around and it started to do a few funny things in the tranny this may all be related or different issues;
1) While driving, if I hit a large pothole the transmission would shift into neutral. I took it to a local mechanic and he adjusted some cable and it seemed to work for a while but now it's doing it again.

2) While in 4 Wheel Drive low and coming from Park into gear the truck seems to shutter. And then coming from drive/reverse into park it grinds gears into park. This is only happening in four wheel low, four high and 2 Wd it shifts normally With no shutter or grinding gears into park.

Also there does not seem to be any gear slippage and the transmission seems to shift smoothly Through all gears when driving. Thanks for your advice in advance.

Last edited by captmarkhd; 01-10-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

1. Check the body mounts. If the cab shifts too much, it will knock the trans out of gear.

2. It really shouldn't be doing that..... does it lock all the way in to 4lo? The trans should only grind into park if you stick it in park while the truck is still moving.....

Old 01-10-2013, 09:59 PM
captmarkhd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will check the body mounts, everything takes a beating down there on very bad roads.
The 4wl seems to be engaged, I only engage it in neutral while slowly moving forward.
Come to think about it, this just started happening after I allowed my captain to pull the boat out of the water with the truck. It is a very heavy boat at 7000 pounds and it can be a steep incline at the ramp at Low tide. I don't know if he did any of this but I do know that he used four wheel low, Is it possible that he may have damaged something either by forcefully engaging four wheel low, Not having it in neutral or rolling slowly forward and while stopped Halfway up the ramp with the boat OR if he pulled the boat out on the ramp While still on the Incline and only put it into Park and not engaging the break. That seems like a lot of pressure pulling backwards in the parking gear With the added weight of the boat? But then why would it only be doing that in 4 low, not drive 4high or 2 Wheel Dr.?

Last edited by captmarkhd; 01-10-2013 at 10:09 PM.

Quick Reply: 2001, 2500 cummins auto Transmission or transfer case prob???