2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

front steering u joints

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 11:51 AM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If someones having that much trouble removing the hub nut, let it be known that you don't have to remove it to replace seal or U-joints. Just pull the three spindle bolts and remove hub, stub shaft, and axle as a unit.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:37 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 319 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by redneck_ram
i just back the bolts out an 1/8" or so at a time, and use an air hammer, take no time at all to remove the hub.

i live in NH, you should see the amount of salt they put on the roads here. never had a problem taking parts apart whatsoever.
dont have any"heavy duty" tools. my impact gun is only good for 625 lb ft. from cornwell. everything else is either husky(home depot) or kobalt(lowes).
Another great source for tools is craigslist. Ingersoll Rand impact wrenches (also re-branded as Mac and others) are great impacts, even used, and last nearly forever with just a bit of oil regularly. You can typically find used impact wrenches and other tools on craigslist at very reasonable prices.

Quick Reply: front steering u joints