2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Intermittent 4wd Issue. Clunking while driving binding noise.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 04:21 PM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by petea216
Looks like I have worn trailing arm bushings on the front axle and where they meet the frame (I never changed them when I added the front axle) maybe take a look at those on your truck too. It makes sense that it only happens in 4wd while turning, because that's when the axle is fighting the rest of the truck the most. It also explains why it feels like it's under my feet.
Actually thats not too bad of an idea to check those out, I noticed on my passengers side the top trailing arm bushing on the differential seems to be worn and has made some clunking noises even in 2wd going over bumps but not too often (infact I forgot about it until you posted that!), maybe it is possible that due to the clunking & torque from the differential being in 4wd its amplifying that and I'm confusing it for binding? It definitely feels more like a binding noise but I should change the bushing anyway soon. Its odd because my GF said the noise sounded like it was coming from the drivers side and I thought it was coming from her side or at the least in the middle of the differential.

Certainly scares the living crap out of you because everything seems fine one moment then bang! time for new underwear.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:53 PM
petea216
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's probably your issue. I found my problem... Sheared the "stud" in the center of the CV joint in the front drive shaft. I'm done screwing with it, just ordered a complete brand new shaft with a lifetime warrantee from Advance Auto. USA made too! HeyYou, i agree, i just noticed it yesterday, I'm in the middle of this blizzard right now so repairs had to wait.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:06 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by petea216
just ordered a complete brand new shaft with a lifetime warrantee from Advance Auto. USA made too!
damn. how much does that cost?

Old 02-09-2013, 09:18 AM
petea216
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got it for $220 after tax w/ my employee discount.

Quick Reply: Intermittent 4wd Issue. Clunking while driving binding noise.