2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Flowmaster 50 Series SUV Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 04:20 PM
01ramclassic
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Flowmaster 50 Series SUV Muffler

Well to begin, the metal is usually thicker at the exhaust shop than the store bought kit. And if your wanting the catback setup like I have then those y-pipes in those kits just don't cut it. I've got a picture of the exhaust off the truck that shows the two flows side by side attached to the custom y-pipe. I'll try to get them posted by Friday so you will know what it looks like and how it would be better. Also remember that these flows are single in dual out...the set up will look like this sorta

running pipe out the back with tips will only look good. It will hurt the performance and sound.
Hope this helps. -Tyler

[IMG]local://upfiles/21206/084F3DAB4BDA4278847BEF0443EC2D8C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-15-2005, 02:57 AM
big_Gymnast
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone,

I've got a 1999 Dodge Ram 4x4 5.2. Since we're on the topic of Flowmaster mufflers, does anyone know the in/out dimentions of the stock muffler. The reason I'm asking is because I don't have the money right now to convert it to duals but I would like the extra power and possible fuel economy of the flowmaster. If you could either give me the dimentions, or even part numbers for the Flowmaster mufflers that would be awesome!!

Thanks

Evan

Old 09-15-2005, 07:45 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After some looking around, I think I will go with a 40 series flowmaster. I found this system on ebay for $170. It comes with the 40 series flowmaster, tailpipes and tips. Any opinions?

[IMG]local://upfiles/20924/C030EEEBBD5945C8B4B87E3AA7883F87.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-15-2005, 08:51 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

man... that picture still makes my head hurt... i bought the SAME kit...and the dude told me no cutting and no welding with that kit and thats what i was looking for... sweet right? .. right.. nothing fit right and the "hangers" sucked that came with the kit.. the muffler sounds GREAT but i got the extension pipe right into the 40 series and then directly out of the 40 i got 2 45 deg dumps... its LOUD in the cab b/c all the sound is bouncing off the pavement and comes right into the cab...and its odd b./c i think now i get worse gas mileage and the power is so so.. but remember i got have all the kit on so who knows...im gonna try to mess around with it ....that kit right there willl fit PREFECT in a ext cab reg bed. i got a reg cab short bed and everything was too long... the instructions SUCK!!!! its more of a universal kit for more then dodge trucks ... seems like it would fit a chevy and a ford too... i dunno... not mad i bought it...just made that it took me a long time to just give up and dump the muff before the axle... take it for what you will...

P.S. you fellas think if i took the dumps off and put some extension pipes and had my echo tips welded on .. but still before the axle ... .the heat would damamge anything? and or prolly sound better?

Old 09-16-2005, 10:12 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you runb into any problems with fit around the spare tire or a tow hitch? These kits never tell you if they will clear the hitch and the spare tire. I don't want to end up like a couple of other guys I have seen with the spare chained down in the bed of the truck.

Quick Reply: Flowmaster 50 Series SUV Muffler