2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Flowmaster 50 Series SUV Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 12:55 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flowmaster 50 Series SUV Muffler

Anyone running the Flowmaster 50 Series SUV muffler? Just wondering what you think of it.

Old 09-13-2005, 03:20 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Flowmaster 50 Series SUV Muffler

ORIGINAL: Off_Road_Teacher

Anyone running the Flowmaster 50 Series SUV muffler? Just wondering what you think of it.
I got one. Performance gain was noticable, but sound was somewhat disappointing. It sounds really really good at idle and low rpm. Driving through a parking lot, it really rumbles. But, when you get on the gas and start to get into high rpm, it kinda goes back to sounding like the stock muffler. I really liked it at first, but now I am wishing more and more often that it sounded loud and aggressive through all RPM ranges.

The interior sound is comparable to stock, escpecially at highway speed. Not loud at all, so at least my wife is happy with it.

The 40 series is louder, and (according to the Flowmaster tech I talked to) the bench flow ratings are the exact same (so one doesn't perform better then the other in case you were wondering). So it comes down to what type of sound you want.

I'm going to try to get a sound clip of mine posted, but I am going to be out of town for a little bit, so it may be awhile.

Old 09-13-2005, 09:52 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Thanks. I appreciate it.

Old 09-13-2005, 08:27 PM
01ramclassic
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 50 series is a good muffler but I have a personal preference to the 40 series. I have ran three different setups on my 01 5.9 dodge. 1st: 40 series 1 in 2 out w/ 18 in chrome echo tips ran out the back at a 45 degree angle. Looked good, sounded ok. 2nd: I then had the tips cut off and all the pipe but off about 3 inches from the muffler. Improved the performance and sounded great! Performance was better because of less pipe to flow through and also sounded louder and deeper. 3rd and final setup that I'm happiest with is 2 40 series single in dual out flowmasters with no tips or dumps...just cut off about 3 in from the mufflers. The exhaust guy built me one hell of a Y pipe for this set up. The truck runs even harder with this set up because of the less backpressure. It also has a very distinct, deep growl at higher rpms that I couldn't get out of just one flow.[sm=badbadbad.gif] The one flowmaster at high rpms just had a loud not as good sound with no deep flowmaster sound. I highly recommend this setup! I've had many complements on the sound of my truck with this setup! Hope this helps even though it was kinda off topic. -Tyler

Old 09-13-2005, 08:33 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Thanks for the input. How would you rate the interior noise coming from that setup? I am looking for something where I will get a nice sound from the exhaust while still being able to maintain a conversation in the cab. I have heard some people say that the 40 series is too loud in the cab while others have no problem with it.

Old 09-13-2005, 09:10 PM
01ramclassic
All Star

There is some interior noise but that is expected. My truck is a 2wd reg cab and the flows are mounted just behind the cab under the bed. The interior noise is not bad. With the windows up you can feel the flows and hear them when lugging around town. I have no problem with conversation nor hearing the radio even turned down low. On the interstate they just have a low deep growl that doesn't bother me or anyone that rides with me on trips. But on the other hand they can get very loud if you want them.[8D] When you hear them the most is when the windows are down and you are on a bypass with tall sides or when you right beside another car. I get road rage from time to time as most off yall probably do and nothing seems to satisfy it better than being beside someone that has pixxed me off and having "ol blackie" kick down a gear and scream. This has to be deafining...and the pleasure is all mine. But back to the point the cab noise isn't bad at all. There is more cab noise without the pipe and echo tips, but the trade off is more than worth it. -Tyler

Old 09-13-2005, 09:12 PM
01ramclassic
All Star

almost forgot to mention that if you have a quad cab then the flows would be even farther away and would have even less interior noise. But with quad or reg cab the interior noise isn't a problem.

Old 09-13-2005, 11:50 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

That is the type of sound I am looking for. Something that I can hear when I want to, but that is not deafening in the cab during normal crusing. Do you have the regular 40 series, the 40 series delta flow or the super 40? Does anyone know where I can find a cat back system with a Flowmaster for a good price?

Old 09-14-2005, 12:04 AM
01ramclassic
All Star

I have the regular 40 series. This is the two chamber flow...the better in my opinion. The Delta flow is like the 50 series suv with three chambers. The super 40 i'm not sure about but I would just stick with the classic 40 series. The catback system is what I have but I didn't think to call or name it that. Your better off just having a good exhaust man build you one like I did. It will be much better than a store bought system...trust me. Just buy you a pair of 40 series new or used from ebay or exhaust store and have a respected exhaust shop put it on for you. And if you really want to take it to the next level buy an O2 Simmulator and have your converter cut off and run true duels. I don't know if it would be any better but I'm gonna try it someday. -Tyler

P.S.
I did a little research just now. I've got some figures for you that actually kinda made me feel ashamed for paying so much. ok here it goes....

I read up on all the 40 series flows...trust me when I say to get the 40 series standard/classic because all others including the super forty have the delta flow tech that tones them down.
On Ebay.com in the ebay motors section, there are numerous new flowmasters for sell from wholesellers at half the price I paid for one at my local exhaust shop. They retail for around 109.85....on ebay I've found the exact ones I have for 55.95 including shipping and all. The part number for this flow is 430402....Its a forty series standard single in dual out. If you want just go there enter that part number "430402" to take you directly to it and get you a couple flows for a cool 112 dollars, and that price is also including shipping! And like I said earlier just take it too a exhaust shop and have them build the rest for you. You can probably get the whole catback system delievered and put on for way under 200. And just think that I paid 250.00 for my first system and it only had a single flow.[:@]
Hope this helps you. -Tyler

Old 09-14-2005, 10:35 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

I will take a look at ebay and see what they have. I was thinking of just getting one of the complete bolt on kits with pipes and everything, but now I am having second thoughts. I figured I would just buy one of the kits and weld it together. Is there any particular reason why you feel having a shop put it together is better?

Quick Reply: Flowmaster 50 Series SUV Muffler