2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46RE Accumulator Spring, Need Clarification

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 11:10 AM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46RE Accumulator Spring, Need Clarification

I'm currently working on my 6th 500/518 based transmission I've built... Seems like I run into something new every time.

Anyways, the main accumulator piston only had the large spring installed, and was missing the inner spring. Every other one I've built had the inner spring, however after some research, it appears that this spring wasn't always installed from the factory. Some say it wasn't installed in trucks equipped with the tow package?

Old 02-03-2013, 11:12 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

It's true, it wasn't installed in some trucks. I have no clue as to their reasoning there though....... not sure what the advantage of not having it would be...... Wish MonteC were still around.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:28 AM
newman1367
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jr. Mechanic
Some say it wasn't installed in trucks equipped with the tow package?

That's what I heard also. All I can say is when I took my valve body apart it didn't have the smaller inner spring and came with the tow package. The only reasoning I can come up with is it changes the hydraulic pressure required to move the accumulator.

Quick Reply: 46RE Accumulator Spring, Need Clarification