2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

throttle valve cable

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 05:54 PM
xplorer82
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle valve cable

ok i have my suspicion that my trans has been replaced after looking things over for the last few days while working on it.. and i keep reading that it is important that the cable not be routed against the engine/trans and also not have pressure on it (being twisted, ect).

well i snapped a few pics, the first 2 will be how my dads 2500 is routed... which his is routed from the TB lever, then leads down toward the trans, hugs under the trans then to the driverside trans lever.

the next 2 are of my routing.. mine is routed from the TB lever, which right away turns toward the driverside valve cover and shoots down to the trans lever. and the cable is right up against the engine as it goes down toward the trans lever. also i do feel pressure on the cable.

i am wondering if my dads routing is the correct way mine should be before i go tearing it off just to find out that mine does not route that way because of the year difference. his is a 2001 2500 2wd, mine is a 98 1500 2wd. both are 5.9L's.

dads 01 2500
Name:  photobucket-5429-1360101517497_zpsc794a922.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  128.7 KB

Name:  photobucket-5225-1360101520207_zps85033bd7.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  121.8 KB

my 98 1500
Name:  photobucket-7734-1360101518412_zps253dc14e.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  101.3 KB

Name:  photobucket-6917-1360101519315_zps970fe962.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  100.0 KB

Old 02-05-2013, 09:09 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let it go back and then down to the drive's side. Should not go to d side valve cover.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:49 PM
xplorer82
Professional

Originally Posted by gdstock
Let it go back and then down to the drive's side. Should not go to d side valve cover.
so route it like my dads then? (straight down pass side, and route it up under to driver side lever)

ever since i bought this truck i have had my eye on that thing. just something about it. i think the trans has either been rebuilt or replaced at some point and they just routed the TV cable right up the driver side. plus the crank sensor rubber mount wasnt seated right (removed for trans removal then replaced and not looked over for flaws.)..

i'll get that thing routed right before it causes any (anymore) damage, and adjusted properly per the downloaded manual. nice little write up on how to do it in there.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:53 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Route it under what? The transmission? NO.

It should go back, then down to top of transmission, then down from ttrans ondriver side.

Do you have FSM? May see if it shows routing. I cannot check as my manual is on another comupter upstairs (and I am old and lazy - if I go upstairs, I'm going to bed...)

Old 02-05-2013, 11:12 PM
xplorer82
Professional

i knew i should have got under his truck and took a pic of his routing just to have it. his goes from the TB lever, straight down the pass side then instead of just curving to the driver side lever on top of the trans, his goes/tucks under part of the trans and then up and over to the driver side lever..

i suck at explaining stuff ive been told, thats why im a picture person haha. ill double check his tomorrow. i think ill just try to route mine down the pass side and over to the lever w/out going under the trans like his. maybe his (the 01's) have longer cables? idk, i know his went under the trans and up and over to driver side lever.

dumb question but what exatly is FSM? i downloaded whatever pdf manual was in the faq section. i didnt see anythng about routing in the one i downloaded, it just had steps for checking/adjusting and i think removing it... guess i can re-read the removal part and look for hints on the routing.

thanks man.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:07 PM
xplorer82
Professional

got it re-routed. goes from TB lever, then straight down and crosses over the trans to the driver side lever.

they had that thing fished thru all the wires, lines and hoses on the driver side. what a task it was fishing it down to re-route it.

i use to shift into 3rd gear right around 25mph under light throttle, now im shifting upwards of 30mph. so i think i might need to adjust it again. the book says at 25-30mph you should be in 3rd. i noticed one shift right around 32mph.

i think im going to wd-40 the lever and stuff down there at the trans, they are all looking a little rusy. ill let that sit a day or so then wire brush the lever and stuff to break off what rust i can, blow it off w/some air and then hit it again w/wd-40 so i know things are moving as they should down there..

Old 02-06-2013, 05:16 PM
guzman
Professional
Default Fsm

FSM=Factory Service Manual

Old 02-06-2013, 05:53 PM
xplorer82
Professional

Originally Posted by guzman
FSM=Factory Service Manual
durr, dont i feel dumb. not sure if thats the one i downloaded or not. it was in the faq section thats all i know. im gonna guess and say thats the one i have.

thanks guz.

on another note, if anyone knows... in the manual and haynes it says that the lock button on the TB lever end is supposed to push in?, mine dont. when i take out the white lock cover thing off the cable moved on its own. i did try pushing the "button" they talk about but it dont push down to allow the cable to be "unlocked". it was already "unlocked" when i took the lock cover piece off because is started pulling itself in.

idk, kinda hard to explain, i'll probably take a video and post it tonight maybe to show what im talking about.

Quick Reply: throttle valve cable