2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46RE help

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 11:30 AM
vicsponjr
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46RE help

I need some help diagnosing my trans problem. I have tried searching but can't find anything.

99 Ram 4X4, 46RE

Seems like I am having a hard time shifting into 3rd. Shifts well into 2nd. Seems to rev too high before kicking into 3rd. Sometimes when in 3rd it seems to shift back down. Also have a whining noise while downshifting and upshifting.
Level was high when I bought the truck . I dropped the pan and changed the filter. Filled it to proper level with Advance Auto ATF-4. Old fluid did not smell burnt. There was some sludge on the magnet but nothing scary.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:59 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In the FAQ/DIY section, there is a good copy of chart of tranny diagnostics.

Also, in the FAQ/DIY section there is a thread that has the service and parts manuals you can download. The FSM section on transmission is very well written and has excellent diagnostics and even the info to rebuild the tranny.

The problem you are expericing is not uncommon. I suspect that either the governor pressure sensor and/or the governor solenoid is either clogged or not functioning properly. unfortuneately, this requires dropping the pan again.... I have drained and re-used newly filled fluid and strained through automotive paint strainer filters with success. You may also want to condider installing a pan drain plug, as this will minimize the tranny oil face bath!

If you clean the solenoid and pressure sensor, it may resolve the issue. If you want to improve it go to e-bay and search. Find the seller Electrical Advantage" and gt the solenoid that is the Borg Warner solenoid, NOT the OEM solenoid. The Bw is better.

The other possibility is the TV cable adjustment. you may want to check this forst before dropping the pan.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:32 AM
vicsponjr
Rookie

Thanks! I'll check out the FAQ/DIY section. I'm guessing they have something in there for the drain plug too? First time I ever changed a tranny filter. Always thought that it was meant to be drained they would have put a plug in it!! lol

Old 02-08-2013, 04:50 AM
guzman
Professional
Default Plug

B&M makes a drain plug, most auto parts stores have them for $10 and under.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:08 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by guzman
B&M makes a drain plug, most auto parts stores have them for $10 and under.

...and there will not be anything in the FSM about installing drain plg. Pretty simple, instructions on package.

Quick Reply: 46RE help