2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 dodge ram laramie 1500 5.9L V8 amp wire questions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 08:16 PM
codyward123
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 dodge ram laramie 1500 5.9L V8 amp wire questions.

Ok i have searched about this everywhere and can't find it so excuse me if i am posting this in the wrong place or if it has been brought up before but all i could find here didn't answer my question. I installed a new head unit into my truck and new 6x9 kicker speakers in the front doors. The problem i am having is that my front speakers have no bass and are very high pitched. There was a black/Blue wire connected to the back of my factory stereo and the little plastic peice that slid over the little metal prong on the back of the stereo is labled AMP? i do not know if it is the remote wire for the factory amp or if it is suppose to be a ground wire. I tried to hook it up to my remote wire on the stereo and all that done was blow my radio fuse . I also tried to connect it to the 12v and the acc wires and with the same result blown fuse. The only other thing i can think of would be to hook it to a ground wire. But since i took the factory stereo out and put the new speakers in it is like i took all the power away from my sound system there is no bass and is way high pitched. I have adjusted all the settings on the head unit and even tried the preset EQ's and most sound the same no real changes in any settings. all of the speakers work fine it's just like i said no bass and dull sound. Can anyone please explain to me what i need to do with the blue/black amp wire and if this is the problem or something else? i know the head unit is good cause i took it from my 02 dakota and it sounded awesome when it was in there so IDK. HELP!!!!

i have heard that some rams have an infinity sound system with amps attatched to the front 6x9 speakers my truck did not have this and also didn't have 4 wires runing to the front speakers just two wires and standard 6x9 speakers no amp or anything connected to the speakers

Last edited by codyward123; 02-06-2013 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Left something out
Old 02-06-2013, 08:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Grab the 01 service manual from the faq section here, and have a look at the wiring diagrams. Sounds like you have the polarity on your speaker wires reversed.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:22 PM
codyward123

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Grab the 01 service manual from the faq section here, and have a look at the wiring diagrams. Sounds like you have the polarity on your speaker wires reversed.
I used a wiring harness that you just hook up to the stereo and it plugs into the factory wiring harness. I made sure to look at both the stereo's and the trucks wiring diagram will hooking them up to make sure everything was in the right spot before connecting it to the actual harness of the truck.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Something isn't quite right somewhere..... Recheck the wiring anyway.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:25 PM
codyward123

Something isn't quite right somewhere..... Recheck the wiring anyway.
I rechecked all the wiring and everything is in the right location. But the wiring diagram has nothing about the little black/blue wire labeled amp on it. Everywhere i have asked and read says that the amp wire is green or light green but my wiring has no green light or dark wire anywhere on it for an amp just the blue/black one

Old 02-06-2013, 09:05 PM
codyward123
Default Update

Ok the wire labled as Amp is actually a ground wire.. Not sure why it would have a plastic plug on it that says amp since its a ground. But the problem with he very high sound and dull bass still exsists. I tried different speakers and got the same results. The speakers i am using are brand new 6x9 kickers and should no way sound the way that they do. I don't think that the problem is in my head unit cause like i said i use to have it in my dakota and it worked really well sounded awesome on factory speakers. As stated before i have tried about ever eq setting and custom setting on my head unit and still have high sound with very little bass. I just pulled the whole head unit out and re checked all of the wiring and all the wires match up to where they are suppose to be i messed with the fad and balance to check each speaker and all 4 are getting power and are working.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

What about the wires at the speaker end? Don't have those backwards do you? (it's about the only thing that would explain your symptoms.....)

Did you originally have the infinity system in the truck?

Old 02-08-2013, 05:44 PM
codyward123

What about the wires at the speaker end? Don't have those backwards do you? (it's about the only thing that would explain your symptoms.....)

Did you originally have the infinity system in the truck?
No i did not have the infinity system in the truck. And the wires at the speaker end are in the correct place. So im not sure what the problem is

Quick Reply: 2001 dodge ram laramie 1500 5.9L V8 amp wire questions.