2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

oil light comes on when idling

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 08:21 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgeman512
thanks everyone for all your advice. as for the HB its the outter ring. it hasnt came aprt anywhere that i can see its like the balancer itself is sliding around on the shaft.i can wiggle it back almost into place but as soon as i got to drive it slides rite back into the cover. an theres oil bein thrown from it. thinkin of doin a cloes double roller timing chain an a new cover when i replace or repair the balancer. an as the lift goes, i was just wanting a small body lift, nothin real big bein that iits only a 2wd. how would i go about fixin the balancer is my main question???? thanks guys for the info. would like to put a pic of my truck up soon but unsure exactly how to..
Since it has slipped out of position, there is no way of telling if it is off or not. They are not that expensive. It is only an interference fit between thehub and the balancer with a piece of rubber strip between them. If it spins off while driving, it could create a catastrophic event. If it was me, I would replace it.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:42 PM
ReadRam
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see a new oil pump with pick up screen and a new HB in your future. Been there. i did the same thing, wasted money and time changing sending units. Finally did the pump and cleaned out the sludge and gauge barely falls below the 40 mark at idle, and way above the 40 at highway speeds.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:04 AM
guzman
Professional

Rockauto would have a Doorman harmonic balancer for about $75 or so, a new timing cover with gaskets about $175, they also have the double roller timing chain/sprocket set for about $45, if your taking all this stuff off you should do the water pump and all hoses also to do it right, check your serpentine idler and belt tightner, new anti-freeze, maybe a oil pump if the manual guage check comes in low....all these will make you forget about the lift kit for awhile. Do this asap. before you make a minor problem a major problem.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:53 PM
lbzrango
Rookie

I'v had oil pressure problems in a few trucks..
97 f150
98 f150
99 ram 1500

Dropped the pan on all of them to find chewed up chunks of plastic in the fords. and just a sludged pick up in the ram. After cleaning these the problem always came back! drop the pan asap before any more damage can come to the motor. Its not a hard job on the ram and can be done in under 2 hours.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: oil light comes on when idling