2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46RE Transmission Diagnostic Cost???

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 09:44 AM
joenov
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46RE Transmission Diagnostic Cost???

Would anyone happen to know roughly what a Dealership charges to diagnose a 2000 1500 Ram 46RE Transmission?

When cold, the Trans. seems to go into neutral (disengage) when at a stop sign or light. When given some gas, it reengages with a jolt. The problem disappears after about a half hour of driving. It is also sluggish in up shifts 2-3. with occasional slipping. Bands are adjusted, new filter and fluid. TV cable also checked and w/in 1/32" on throttle stud. No OBD Codes present.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:46 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Probably whatever an hour to an hour and a half labor charge is, at their current rate.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:40 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Yes ^^ whatever the hourly rate of the place will give you a rough idea of an hours time of diagnostic cost. Shop around reputable auto repair places along with the dealer.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:50 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

welcome to df.

beware that a dealership will be your most expensive option, for both diagnosis and repair.

if you have a local transmission shop that is not hated by all their previous customers, you MIGHT save money by taking it there. you can likely also get a free diagnosis/estimate which will probably include a test drive, maybe check pressures.

read over MonteC's transmission thread in the DIY sticky section. if you had only shifting problems - there might be some good news. but if bands are properly adjusted, serviced, etc, and its still slipping and jolting, the news is not going to be good.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:42 PM
joenov
Amateur
Default Thank you

Thanks to everyone for your responses.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:48 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joenov
Would anyone happen to know roughly what a Dealership charges to diagnose a 2000 1500 Ram 46RE Transmission?

When cold, the Trans. seems to go into neutral (disengage) when at a stop sign or light. When given some gas, it reengages with a jolt. The problem disappears after about a half hour of driving. It is also sluggish in up shifts 2-3. with occasional slipping. Bands are adjusted, new filter and fluid. TV cable also checked and w/in 1/32" on throttle stud. No OBD Codes present.
It may seem too obvous, but is the fluid full when in neutral and warmed up? Also, double check the shift linkage. Another member had a variety of issues with his, and it turned out to eb the shift linkage adjustment. Just verify those are good before spending any money.....

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
welcome to df.

beware that a dealership will be your most expensive option, for both diagnosis and repair.

if you have a local transmission shop that is not hated by all their previous customers, you MIGHT save money by taking it there. you can likely also get a free diagnosis/estimate which will probably include a test drive, maybe check pressures.

read over MonteC's transmission thread in the DIY sticky section. if you had only shifting problems - there might be some good news. but if bands are properly adjusted, serviced, etc, and its still slipping and jolting, the news is not going to be good.
+1 to dhvaughn's post. Dealers do NOT specialize in trans rebuilds. Some parts swaps taht owners can do, and replacement with stock transmissions are more their forte.

Local "good" tranny shop is better option, unless you live in an area like I just moved form - there were NO tranny shops!

other possibility f someone you know has something like a MT 2500 or Solus scanner, it will diagnose trans problems.

See the service manual here on DF in the FAQ/DIY section and there is an explanation of testing with 2 gauges.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:11 PM
joenov
Amateur
Default Thanks GDStock

Thanks for that info. GDStock. Yes, the fluid is in the "OK" range when warm and in neutral. I will check the linkage tomorrow. It did bind on me once months ago and now the shift indicator doesn't always show correctly. Sometimes when in D it may show R. Perhaps something slipped.

I moved to the Berkshire Mountains in Massachusetts two years ago and there are not many options for me either as far as Local Tranny Repair Shops. Nearest civilization is forty minutes away in any direction, but the Deer, Moose, Bear, and Bald Eagles are plentiful!

Thanks again-

Old 02-17-2013, 04:18 PM
ReadRam
All Star

The trans shop I use will hook up the mt-2500 and test drive it with you riding along, for free. Did a shop adjust the bands? Low fluid will give that jolt into gear feeling to.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:20 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joenov
Thanks for that info. GDStock. Yes, the fluid is in the "OK" range when warm and in neutral. I will check the linkage tomorrow. It did bind on me once months ago and now the shift indicator doesn't always show correctly. Sometimes when in D it may show R. Perhaps something slipped.

I moved to the Berkshire Mountains in Massachusetts two years ago and there are not many options for me either as far as Local Tranny Repair Shops. Nearest civilization is forty minutes away in any direction, but the Deer, Moose, Bear, and Bald Eagles are plentiful!

Thanks again-
Check linkage first. Then you can adjust the orange indicator. It is operated by a string (go figure) on the steering column. Remove knee panel and look for the little white plastic thinggy (technical term) with a little white ****. Turning this will adjust the orange gear indicator.

Quick Reply: 46RE Transmission Diagnostic Cost???