2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

97 ram issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 02:49 PM
jmckeon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 ram issues

HI guys new here and got an issue im hoping to get some help with. I got a 97 ram 1500 with the 5.2 magnum and 46re tranny. I went to go to th store the other day and here is no drive. the tranny downshifted twice in drive then was completely gone. I still have reverse (thnk god cause thats how i got it back home). park and neutral are there. but when u put it into drive its like it is in nuetral and does nothing. there was no grindng no clunking or lag or surge issues. I pulled tranny and took it to a sho they said theythink its the forward clutches but they said with tranny out of vehicle thy cant diagnose it(which is weird cause on phone they said they could). they told me in order to ebuid it thy would have to chang the torqueconverter cause hats what prolly aused it and want 1100 dollars to do it (just rebuild not even them putting it backin truck). I can not afford 1100 dollars for a rebuild on the tranny so me and a freind looking at rebuilding it our selves. would apreciate any info u guys could pass along. also whenrebuildingit do i just need the clutches and plates or doi need new bands and everything. I would alos apreciate any input on what u guys think about the torque converter. I am not sure if that caused this but im not sure.

thanks to all who red and comment i apreciate it.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Check the trans thread in the faq/diy section by J415, links to some good walkthrus for rebuilding in there.

Best thing is, use QUALITY parts..... do a couple upgrades, and never have to worry about it again.

Quick Reply: 97 ram issues