2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Turbo Boost

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 08:58 PM
macgyvr67
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Boost

Hi all,
I'm running out of ideas. Every time I think I've figured this out, the road turns another direction. I've noticed that, I think, I'm runnning about 5 psi lower than normal in about all conditions. Starting, running down the freeway, what ever. The turbo spins, I can hear it, but I think it's low.
I'm almost positive I used to run 3 to 5 psi just running on flat ground turning 60 to 65mph. Now it's 0. I can get on it a bit, and it comes up, but not what I remember. I have an ATS manifold, Aurora turbo. I just replaced all the charge air hoses, found nothing on them. Did find a little oil in the lines to the cooler, but ATS says this is 100% normal. The end play on the compressor is very slight but I do have some. The turbo spins fine visually as soon as the truck starts. I can hear it from inside while running. The only thing I have still to do is install a different gauge on it and see if they match.
Am I loosing my mind? No smoke, but the truck has been running a little rough at times, which is why I started paying more attension to things. Then this popped up on my radar.
I don't know if I'm chasing ghosts or not.
I even changed the chip settings to see if she perked up. Nothing.
Can the oil drain line affect the turbo speed if something is plugged?
Does anyone agree with having a slight bit of oil in the charge air lines?
It just doesn't smell right to me.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:05 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Please take a moment to read this:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...new-topic.html

Without knowing anything about what sort of vehicle you are referring to, its kinda hard to offer any advise. Please add some detail about the vehicle.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:50 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Agreed. Is it a custom set-up? Stock? Gas? Diesel?

Old 02-11-2013, 11:41 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Obviously a CTD.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:27 AM
macgyvr67

yeah, i kinda figured when you post in a specific area it would be implied. I wasn't aware of a 2nd generation Truck with a turbo from 98.5 to 02 that wasn't a cummins. And it is a Dodge forum, so one can assume it's not a ford. All that, and the same questions still apply.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:48 AM
stewie01
Legend

Originally Posted by macgyvr67
yeah, i kinda figured when you post in a specific area it would be implied. I wasn't aware of a 2nd generation Truck with a turbo from 98.5 to 02 that wasn't a cummins. And it is a Dodge forum, so one can assume it's not a ford. All that, and the same questions still apply.
Nope. People ask about Ford, Buick, etc.. all the time here.

And some people actually make good on their desires for a turbo'd gasoline.

So you need to put in the details, details matter.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:17 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by macgyvr67
Take a few minutes to read the newbie thread. These are not unreasonable requests. You know what happens when you assume.

Last edited by jkeaton; 02-12-2013 at 07:20 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:37 AM
macgyvr67

I have a 2nd generation dodge cummins diesel. I have a FASS fuel lift feeding the injection pump an inlet pressure of 19 to 21 psi regardless of power load. I have a special Federal Express version VP44 which was not available to the public. It was manufactured specifically to address Fed-Ex's complaints about fuel injection problems with this series. It has the capability to feed more under demanding conditions, and is more reliable than the original Dodge version. I have a Stage 5 ATS transmission with billet flex plate, 3 disc converter, in cab commander, billet input/out put and all the goodies. I have an Aurora 3000 turbo, ATS make, but I'm told it, along with most other aftermarket turbos like Banks and such are based on a Garret design. I have DDP 125HP injectors. I originally looked for a charge cooler, but was told to stay stock with this year. There's a cool air intake, and an Edge controller making sure the computer doesn't see more than 18psi for the de-fuel throttle point. I have had a valve job done, oring, and high strength studs. I have a 3 piece exhaust maniofld feeding the turbo. Dyno runs averaged around 500HP at the rear tires and 1200lbs of twist.
I have no bolts loose on exhaust side, no gaskets blown, just replaced all the charge hoses, no holes here.
If one had a turbo engine, that ran on diesel, gas or propane, would a plugged oil return affect the turbo speed, or boost? Is it common to have small amounts of oil in the charge air lines after the turbo, like just enough to get a small rag dirty. The intake filter is clean, so it's not pulling a vacuum. I'm thinking of getting an injector clean done, but it doesn't run weak, just lower charge PSI by about 5. How possible is it to loose charge pressure through the turbo shaft bearing to the exhaust side without knowing it? The turbo shaft has slight play, but the compressor wheel does not appear to be in contact with the housing. It's real close, but I suspect it's probably supossed to be. The shaft spins freely, and like I said before, I can still hear everything when the truck is running.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:20 AM
stewie01
Legend

Jigabop and Wombat Ranger are probably who you wanna talk to.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

At steady state cruise, I don't think it's supposed to develop boost. Step on the go-pedal a little harder though, it it should come up. No clue what the numbers should be though.

Quick Reply: Turbo Boost