2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46re question please help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 01:02 AM
jmckeon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46re question please help.

i am getting ready to rebuild a 46re tranny. there is nothing wrong with the overdrive. my question is do i have to rebuld the over drive? I am curious can i remove the overdrive unit and rebuild the tranny then put it back on or do i need special tools to do so? or can i just rebuild tranny with over drive unit on the tranny and not touch it? please help and thank you

Old 02-17-2013, 01:07 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To do it correctly....No. Why would you not want to rebuild the OD? The OD clutches are the same age and have been exposed to the same temps and conditions as the rest of it. Parts are included in overhaul kit.

Last edited by gdstock; 03-10-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:09 AM
jmckeon

i do not have a press or access to a press to do the overdrive and from the reading i have gathered I need a press to rebuild the overdrive unit. I am also looking to buy a manual for the rebuild. i been searching on here and have only found a couple videos and a half way complete rebuild manual.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:12 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Get the factory service manual from the appropriate thread.

Check j415's trans rebuild thread. He has links to complete walkthrus', with pics.

Might be able to throw a couple bucks at some machine shop, or auto shop, to do the press thing for ya. Just leaving it is a bad idea.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:36 PM
christopher.l.manson

i found this one to be the most in depth one ive found so far for the rebuild, im having to star a rebuild myself so if you find andything of use send it my way please. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-progress.html

Old 03-10-2013, 02:55 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jmckeon
i do not have a press or access to a press to do the overdrive and from the reading i have gathered I need a press to rebuild the overdrive unit. I am also looking to buy a manual for the rebuild. i been searching on here and have only found a couple videos and a half way complete rebuild manual.

There has to be someone in your commmunity that has a press that may charge you a few dollars to press it. They won't have a sing saying "Press for Hire" but a shop has to be there I would think. Rebuilding everything but that and to have it fail later will make you want to kick yourself!

Gotta be a machine shop I would think. Look for a local car club.

And +1 on the service manual here on DF. It is complete. Tranny section well written and easy to follow.

Quick Reply: 46re question please help.