2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-07-2015, 03:02 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension
Print Wikipost

Shock Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 09:36 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sure you can do this, WD-40 is no good for this job use PB Blaster or Deep Creep instead on the nutz and bolts. Thing is the nutz will come off ez I would say, but the bolts will be seized inside the spring bushings, This is where it will get ugly, possible new spring eye bushing will be needed and they can be a pita to get in.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:50 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RBC
@Sooper, sure thing, it may not be today but I'll get one by tomorrow.

@guzman, yeah...they probably do need attention. Thing is, I don't know how to go about replacing them...it's hard to explain but the whole thing broke off wherever it's connected at a point...so basically the whole bundle of springs on both sides are rubbing on the bottom of the bed :O
This is extremely dangerous. Somone could get killed, possibly you. Post up pics.

Originally Posted by merc225hp
Sure you can do this, WD-40 is no good for this job use PB Blaster or Deep Creep instead on the nutz and bolts. Thing is the nutz will come off ez I would say, but the bolts will be seized inside the spring bushings, This is where it will get ugly, possible new spring eye bushing will be needed and they can be a pita to get in.

+1 on no WD40, use PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench. Get some good jackstands. Do not climb under there with just a jack holding it up. It ain't worth getting hurt over!

Download the manual and make sure you read the safety precautions. A guy like you can do it - that's how we all started out! Get in and get'r done! But just be careful.

Last edited by gdstock; 02-25-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:01 PM
RBC
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, no WD40...got it, use jackstands (have heard this from my dad before), and I'll get it done soon. I don't doubt either of you, but I am curious as to what the specific danger of this is? If I get lucky I may get the parts in by Saturday, my mom said we could order ASAP once I informed her this is more dangerous than we thought. If this is the case I wouldn't mind tackling it this weekend. I never knew the risk was pretty big...to think my dad drove this truck with the driver's side shackle broken for quite some time, and now I drive it with both shackles in ruins :O

Last edited by RBC; 02-25-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:35 PM
gdstock
Legend

Shackles don't just hold the springs. They hold the differential in place under the truck. If another piece breaks, which is a high probability due to excessive strain, the differential could come loose at one end, and the twisting will break the other end. Differential will come out the rear or to the side, possibly smacking someone else, and the rear of the truck will come crashing to the ground, causing you to loose control of the truck, and slam into something/someone.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:56 PM
RBC
Amateur

0____0 Wow...I had no clue this was that severe of a problem...definitely going to try and put new shackles on ASAP. I can honestly say I'm quite surprised the truck hasn't fallen apart due to this yet...the DS shackle broke quite some time ago. Going to put this on the top of my list!

I am wondering--will the truck ride better with the springs where they should be (instead of them resting on the bed)?

Last edited by RBC; 02-25-2013 at 11:59 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:46 AM
ReadRam
All Star

I would think so, but you should seriously consider parking it until you get shackles and leaf springs fixed.

Last edited by ReadRam; 02-26-2013 at 12:50 AM.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:21 PM
RBC
Amateur

Just an update guys, my dad and I put the new shackles on today. Made a huge difference in the ride and the ride height, we were both pretty impressed.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:04 AM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by RBC
Just an update guys, my dad and I put the new shackles on today. Made a huge difference in the ride and the ride height, we were both pretty impressed.

That's great. And you are less likely to have a major wreck now also!

Old 03-03-2013, 03:30 PM
ledman
Rookie

Originally Posted by RBC
What shocks did you decide to go with?
I need some new shocks for my 97 Ram and was thinking on the KYB Excel-G, or the Monroe Sensatac.
I don't have the tools to install them myself though.

I found some good prices on this website, free shipping too.
http://www.shockwarehouse.com/index.cfm

Old 03-04-2013, 04:30 PM
RBC
Amateur

I haven't actually done much with the shocks yet, as soon as I mentioned the broken shackles the guys here said those should be taken care of first. If I did I'd probably buy the $25 Monroe Monro-Matics, since they're in stock around here.

What kind of tools do you need? Looked like they're just held on by your average bolt to me.

Quick Reply: Shock Replacement