2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ticking when trying to start

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 09:02 PM
MHell2k13
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate when I get logged out of the Internet and I lose the whole paragraph I typed. To sum it up trucks running good but will randomnly stall at idle. Usually won't idle rough it just stops. Doesn't happen Often maybe once a day. Getting code p1391 loss of camshaft crank. It is obviously happening after I did the tune up so I imagine its a result of something I did when doing the intake manifold or cap and rotor. I can list everything I've done. New cap rotor and camshaft position sensor. New plugs and wires. Plenum plate and intake gaskets. Cleaned iac and tested to verify motor still works. Tps is sending correct voltage with throttle plates opening. Plus the stall happens to little for me to suspect those.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:51 PM
MHell2k13
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It couldnt be a loose timing chain could it? I'm gonna put a new one in very soon.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:22 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MHell2k13
I hate when I get logged out of the Internet and I lose the whole paragraph I typed. To sum it up trucks running good but will randomnly stall at idle. Usually won't idle rough it just stops. Doesn't happen Often maybe once a day. Getting code p1391 loss of camshaft crank. It is obviously happening after I did the tune up so I imagine its a result of something I did when doing the intake manifold or cap and rotor. I can list everything I've done. New cap rotor and camshaft position sensor. New plugs and wires. Plenum plate and intake gaskets. Cleaned iac and tested to verify motor still works. Tps is sending correct voltage with throttle plates opening. Plus the stall happens to little for me to suspect those.
Check sensor, connector and make sure sensor(s) are tight. Cam sensor in in distributor, crank sensor is behind passenger side head going into bell housing.

Originally Posted by MHell2k13
It couldnt be a loose timing chain could it? I'm gonna put a new one in very soon.
Not likely. If it shucked the gear or chain, it would be dead.

Quick Reply: Ticking when trying to start