2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Clutch Master and SLave hard line repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 09:06 AM
Blackbox19
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Master and SLave hard line repair

I got a 97 Dodge ram with the 5.2 and 5 speed trans. The hard line was broken off right at the MC when I bought the truck. I looked around to find a replacement one, most parts places had one, BUT 200 BUCKS just for the line.
So i checked into to the complete slave and MC with hard line combo, could not find any.
So I figured I would make me a line. I took the ends out of the MC and slave and cut the plastic tubing off. I took those ends to a hose shop and had some steel braided line made up. Length I went with was 58 inches.
Now my MC had sat for year or 2 with on fluid in it. So I had to take it out of the truck. Easy it just unclipped from the petal and then turn the whole housing counter clock wise from under hood. and it comes out.
I attached the new line and filled the reservoir with fluid. I tried working the MC a little to see if any fluid would get pushed out. It never would come out. So Then I stuck theother end of the hose into the reservoir and and pushed on the MC again. This time air came out of the hose and then sucked in fluid. Took about 5 minutes of this and there was no air. just a solid feel and fluid moving. So the line has to be in fluid to draw it in.. Next I needed to attach the slave, so I took and pushed in on the rod untill the fluid started coming out of the small hole, BE CAREFUL that stuff came out really fast and hit the ceiling as I was not expecting it. I noticed that the plunger was about 1/2 way thru travel so I assumed there was a good amount of fluid let in it,. I had already made a plan to use a tiny funnel or syringe and put some fluid in the slave. So I had the plunger pushed in to where the fluid was just coming out of the hole, I took the hose from out of the MC reservoir and put it in the slave and pinned it back in. Now I keep the plunger pushed up as when you let go it would open up and there would be a lot of air in there. So you got to have 3 hands or really good with 2 to hold plunger and put the hose back in. I did that and worked the slave plunger a bunch of times to get any tiny amount of air out. Very easy to do and it was solid feeling the whole time. So I know it had very little in there and I could have just went with it like that. But I worked it a little more and got all the old fluiod out and all the air..
Saved me about 300 bucks... 25 in line and a few minutes to do and I got every thing back. this really is a simple project.
When you take the lines out of the slave and master. The ends are held in with little pins, they just push out either side. The hard line can be heated with a heat gun and pulled right off the fittings. The fittings are not common and you must use the stock ones that come on your vehicle. They vary in size and depth from model to model. So it must match the slave, MC combo you have.
Also there are rubber washers under the fittings. Do not lose those, when I pushed the plunger down the first time and shot fluid up to ceiling that washer went flying.. Took hour to find it.
Only pic i have is of the made line and hose ends.

Attached Thumbnails Clutch Master and SLave hard line repair-photo02201343.jpg  
Old 03-02-2013, 11:22 AM
Blackbox19
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Installed the setup in the truck yesterday. Worked perfect. So if you want to save some coin if you break that hard line, do as I did.

Note... Do not use a grinder or saw or anything that can damage that end fitting when you trying to get the hard plastic off. HEAT it up and it will pull right out. Yes it will start to melt and get all nasty, but who cares, you want that fitting out undamaged

Quick Reply: Clutch Master and SLave hard line repair