2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46RE "Shift Kit" questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 07:47 AM
joenov
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the truck is running great! The shifts are nice and firm. I am not sure if it was the Shift Kit that solved my problems or if it was the 3-4 spring and booster valve spring that I found were broken. I used the kit from Shift Technologies which I ordered from Cascade Trans. Parts. The modifications were very easy and the kit gives you everything that you need. It also requires that the cooling check valve be removed. I have some parts if you could use them, i.e. new 3-4 Accumulator Spring, used Press. sensor, Temp. sensor, convertor clutch solenoid, and speed sensor. I ended up replacing these even though I did not have any diagnostic codes. If you could use them, send me an email and I will mail them to you. They are free but I just don't want to throw them away.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:49 AM
joenov
Amateur

PS: A new 3-4 spring is included with the Shift Kit.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:19 PM
pure adrenaline
Rookie

Originally Posted by joenov
Yes, the truck is running great! The shifts are nice and firm. I am not sure if it was the Shift Kit that solved my problems or if it was the 3-4 spring and booster valve spring that I found were broken. I used the kit from Shift Technologies which I ordered from Cascade Trans. Parts. The modifications were very easy and the kit gives you everything that you need. It also requires that the cooling check valve be removed. I have some parts if you could use them, i.e. new 3-4 Accumulator Spring, used Press. sensor, Temp. sensor, convertor clutch solenoid, and speed sensor. I ended up replacing these even though I did not have any diagnostic codes. If you could use them, send me an email and I will mail them to you. They are free but I just don't want to throw them away.
Nice, I appreciate the update. I'm ordering my parts tomorrow after I found my front band was extremely loose and had was down to metal in some places. I'm almost certain this is responsible for my original shifting issues but I'm hoping a shift kit can give my transmission some more time. It's good to hear success stories as a lot of the threads in the forum we never hear the endings.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:08 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joenov

The broken spring is not unusual in these transmissions, and combined with solenoid and pressure sensor, can cause the shifting issues. The rest of the kit is to imporve shift points.

Did you grind the spool? The Sonax kit provides replacement spools to keep from grinding, but I ground one anyway when I wne in tom experiment (yeah, I know - risky). But as I sutdied the flow in the drawings, I could not help myself. Worst case I would have had to reinstall the OEM spool from when I put in the kit.

I am still considering another mod, but probably not until summer. Sometimes I just cannot leave well enough alone!

Quick Reply: 46RE "Shift Kit" questions