2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46RE "Shift Kit" questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 11:03 AM
joenov
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46RE "Shift Kit" questions

Sorry if I am posting this in the wrong area.

I have a 2000 Ram 1500 5.2L. 46RE Transmission. It has been having some shifting problems. Bands and fluid, filter all good.

I just purchased an A500/A618 Shift Kit (Shift Technology Products) I am wondering if anyone has experience with this kit as it calls for removing and disassembling the valve body. I am fine with this until it then calls for drilling some exhaust ports? It also calls for "grinding" the valve stem of the throttle down to .310". The illustrations seem pretty clear but the whole concept of drilling and grinding are quite intimidating. And if I am reading the instructions correctly, it is calling for removal of the Drain back valve from the cooling line and just reconnect with hose or pipe???

I also purchased the kit which contains the Press. Solenoid/transducer, shift solenoid, speed sensor, etc.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

The check valve in the cooler line tends to get clogged, and causes the trans to overheat..... bad for transmissions.

Drilling one of the holes allows the torque converter to fill with the trans in park, which means you can check your fluid level in park.... can't do that normally.

Not sure about grinding down the valve stem.....

What shifting problems are you having?

Old 03-04-2013, 03:16 PM
joenov
Amateur

Thank you for your response "HeyYou!"

It is slow to shift from 1, 2, 3 and it can't seem to make up its mind if it wants to stay in 3 or 4. Early shifts happen sometimes too. The TV cable is right-on! There is a groan from the differential until it goes into 3rd. Once in 4, all seems and sounds normal.

The truck has been a headache since I bought it, i.e. Dashboard disintegrated, Heater core went, replaced every brake line, bumpers rusted through, etc., etc.

The truck is not worth putting in a new transmission and I am not in a position to purchase another vehicle at this time. The truck is drivable, but I do not trust it. The nearest Transmission shop is about 45 minutes away. I thought I would try the fixes as mentioned in my original post to see if it would buy me some time. I'm mechanically savy, but I have reservations about drilling "new" holes in the valve body where none have existed before.

The Shift Kit package mentions "Constant Lubrication..." Those "drilled holes" would then make sense as you had mentioned.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:23 PM
joenov
Amateur

Correction to above post. The differential quiets down in 3rd., not 4. Also, I am confident that the Converter drain back valve is flowing free.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:51 PM
CSDavies26
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At one time, i also considered installing a shift kit in my 01...but i backed away when i read into the instructions and found the parts about drilling holes and stuff. I opted for replacing the manual and pressure regulator valves with two valves from Sonnax that allow for better lubrication and converter charge in park. Disassembling the valve body is not that hard (the hardest is getting the cables on and off of that stupid mounting rod on the driver side of the tranny...the rooster comb C-clip is also a huge pain). Once you have the valve body out, take pictures and make sure you KEEP TRACK of where each spring, valve, and check ball goes. If you go for the shift kit, you'll have to dive even deeper into the valve body than I had to...best of luck to ya

Old 03-05-2013, 12:42 PM
kevinp985

its a pretty standard kit. just make sure you take pictures as taking apart so you can get it back together. the instructions always lack details on reassembly. The drilling of holes is pretty straight forward. the ones between walls of the valve body can be nerve racking.. just go slow and steady. its ok if you drill them at a slight angle. the ones in the valve plates are just opening up existing holes. just make sure your opening up the right hole. always double check before you drill and you'll be fine. also the line pressure spring can be pretty sensitive. don't turn it more then one full turn past what it tells you to set it at. it will shift plenty firm at what is instructed.

good luck on your mod. hopefully it proves fruitful. its likely not going to change your transmissions decision to be in one gear or another. however it will firm up your shifts and likely help your transmission last a little longer.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:54 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed the Sonnax Kit in mine. Only drilling was the baffle plate. A couple of months ago, I got curious and did some expeimenting with an extra valve body, and did a "home-made" mod on two spools. Flame spreay to build up, then grind down and shorten one part.

You can probaby pick up extra spools and plate from a trans shop junk pile pretty cheap. Alter those and if yuo thnk you got it right, swap it in with the kit.

Last edited by gdstock; 03-16-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:47 AM
joenov
Amateur

Thanks for the input!

I decided to go for it and did the shift kit. It was pretty simple. On disassembly I found the 3-4 accumulator spring snapped in two. Also, the Spring retaining clip on the boost valve was broken and the spring had worked its way past it by about 1/4 inch. It was wedged between the two broken pieces.

I sent away for a new Rooster Comb as this on seemed very loose/worn. Once that comes in I will reinstall the valve body. I hope that goes easier than the removal!

Old 03-16-2013, 07:23 AM
pure adrenaline
Rookie

Originally Posted by joenov
Thanks for the input!

I decided to go for it and did the shift kit. It was pretty simple. On disassembly I found the 3-4 accumulator spring snapped in two. Also, the Spring retaining clip on the boost valve was broken and the spring had worked its way past it by about 1/4 inch. It was wedged between the two broken pieces.

I sent away for a new Rooster Comb as this on seemed very loose/worn. Once that comes in I will reinstall the valve body. I hope that goes easier than the removal!
Any chance you have an update yet? I might be doing the same modification soon. Thank you and your a brave soul.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:17 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pure adrenaline
Any chance you have an update yet? I might be doing the same modification soon. Thank you and your a brave soul.
I think I remember seeing a youtube video on the sonnax kit installation.

Quick Reply: 46RE "Shift Kit" questions