2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 09:26 AM
Weazle23
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default couple questions

first question is about my wiper motor. it just stops randomly. it doesnt return to home. if i keep quickly turning it off then on i can get it back to home. is this most likely the motor or switch? all the different speeds seem to work. second question is about bypassing the factory alarm system. i had a avital remote starr installed and if the doors are locked it sets alarm off if i start it or use keyfob to unlock the doors. ive bought the resistor and found the wire under kick panel. my question is does anybody know the color of the wire im sposed splice into on new remote setup? thanks in advance guys

Old 03-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Kaldir
Veteran

I would say its the wiper motor. My wipers do not return to home position, but after 4 years I just know when to turn them off so they return to home. I could just replace the motor, but it doesn't bother me enough to change it out.

No clue on the alarm question.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:32 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Before spending money, check the wires running along side the steering column and the ground wire under the cowl to the Wmotor.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:43 PM
Weazle23

i will check the wiring and ground to the motor. just seems wierd that everything else works but that. bugs the crap out of me when it stops in up position. i have to keep clicking it on and off lol

Old 03-05-2013, 01:09 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Thing is, it could be the motor or the multifunction switch. Which is why I'd check all the wiring first. You can download the free service manual in the FAQ/DIY section for wire tracing.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:45 PM
Kaldir
Veteran

Yeah the stopping annoyed me at first, but its 2nd nature for me to turn them off at the exact moment so they stop at home. haha One day I will look further in to it, but who knows when at this point.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:57 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

a winding circuit inside the motor called the "park circuit" is responsible for stopping the motor with the wiper arm in the down position. it has a separate wire at the electrical connector (might be blue, but i don't remember), which should have 12v anytime there is 12v on either the low speed or high speed wire.

remove wiper arms and plastic cowl. find wiper motor on drivers side. unplug elec connector and test for voltage on low speed, high speed, park circuit. also test for good ground.

if electrical is as it should be - then the park circuit in the motor is burned out and wiper motor needs replacing.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:22 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And on the alarm, did you pay someone to install this? Legitimate business? Have them do it correctly. Otherwise, use the above referenced wiring diagrams. Part of that will be based on the wiring diagram with alarm system. They are not all the same.

Last edited by gdstock; 03-09-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:08 AM
Weazle23

it was a legit business that installed it. i will probably take it to them if i cant get it. was just trying to see if i could do it myself first. traced down wiring for wipers. didnt see anything loose anywhere. will probably try replacing motor this weekend. will post results incase anybody else has same problem.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:11 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by Weazle23
it was a legit business that installed it. i will probably take it to them if i cant get it. was just trying to see if i could do it myself first. traced down wiring for wipers. didnt see anything loose anywhere. will probably try replacing motor this weekend. will post results incase anybody else has same problem.

How do you drive your truck when it's upside down?

Quick Reply: couple questions