2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

TC Slipping?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 12:57 PM
emattern06
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TC Slipping?

Ok so i have a 01' dodge ram 1500 sport 5.2l with a 46RE auto tranny.
When i first got it it threw the code P1740, i had it taken into the shop and the tech said the TCC was cycling in and out. it got a new solenoid/sensor pack, internal wire harness, additional grounds,and battery cables. The tech drove it for 100 miles without it reoccurring. Now that ive had the truck back for a week the same code came on again. Every so often the truck feels like it shifts or locks-up after it shifts into 2nd. And if i put a heavy load on it, it the engine will rev up (as if it was in neutral) and then catch. BTW the fuild is clean and full. Anyone have any ideas? thanks

Old 03-06-2013, 01:07 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Download the free service manual from the FAQ/DIY section and test the TPS. Also in the FAQ/DIY section is a tranny diagnostic sticky you should read. You might also want to try and adjust the TV cable. FActory TV cable adjust can be found in this thread . https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-in-trans.html

Old 03-06-2013, 02:53 PM
emattern06
Rookie

TPS voltages aren't any out of the normal and all of that has been done which is why it is driving me crazy.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:59 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Follow zman's recommendations and find the transmission section in servie manual. It is more likey that TCC is being turned off and on than it is for it to be slipping. Normal TC failure is for it to shell out if it fails. More likely to be losing signal or wpoer to solenoid. Check the main connector and pkug on side of tranny and make sure the wiring is not chaffed somewhere along the line back to pCM. Also check PCM connections.

Also check TPS with ohmmeter to make sure the resistnace change is smooth and even with no dead spot in it.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:15 PM
Nsmitty21
Professional

I had a issue like this and eventually had to have the tranny rebuilt. My engine would have an RPM surge like the TCC locking and unlocking. It was most prevalent around 50 mph or so. It basically would never lock correctly. I replaced the TPS and the TCC solenoid and it seemed to help a bit each time but never cured the problem. Long story short, The TC failed and caused my transmission to need to be rebuilt. My TC never exploded or anything like that but I guess the friction material was coming apart and spreading throughout the unit. I was told that this causes the cooler to plug and causes transmission failure due to heat. I hope this isn't your issue, but wanted to share my experience with a P1740 code and TC issues.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:23 PM
wishihadachevy

I would try the tv cable first.... for 1 its easy and free to do it yourself and i had a 98 1500 with a 318 that was having very similar symptoms at around 45 to 50 mph and it turned out to be the tv cable was set wrong

Quick Reply: TC Slipping?