2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Loss of Brake Power/ Mist in vents/ Loss of fluid

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 01:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Timing is merely coincidence. There is no way to get brake fluid into the heater system. (unless someone poured some in there....)

Old 03-10-2013, 01:29 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewer97
Thanks for the suggustions. I will be removing the Master Cylinder from the Vacuum booster and checking that after work today. As for thinking i have two separate problems, i don't know if i want to go that route, they both seemed to happen at the same exact time.. Thanks!
Just curious. What's your level of experience working on vehicles? How well versed are you in the different systems?

I ask, because you're basing your conclusion on a causation versus correlation fallacy.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:45 PM
ReadRam
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cylinders in rear brake drums could be another hidden leak, but seems like a more significant leak. Fill, bleed and inspect the most obvious places already mentioned. And +4 that you have two separate problems, the mist on windshield interior is from leaky heater core.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:17 PM
Brewer97

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
Just curious. What's your level of experience working on vehicles? How well versed are you in the different systems?

I ask, because you're basing your conclusion on a causation versus correlation fallacy.
I'm a 17 year old "kid" who has been trained in the basics. That being brakes, suspension and basic engine components. I enjoy working on my own truck and learning how it works, it makes me feel good that I'm able to do it. And if belittling me makes you feel good you go right ahead. As for everyone else, I appreciate the help. I just replaced the heater core myself in under 4 hours(which id say is pretty good) but what do I now...

Old 03-13-2013, 08:30 PM
h3lzsn1p3r
Captain

front reservoir is for rear breaks so look at the rear lines mainly the flex line and wheel cylinders because you said it leaked slow the hard lines usually leak fast

Old 03-13-2013, 09:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Pay special attention to the line that runs over the gas tank though..... it is notorious for rusting out... before it breaks completely, and you get a RUDE surprise.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:48 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm a 17 year old "kid" who has been trained in the basics. That being brakes, suspension and basic engine components. I enjoy working on my own truck and learning how it works, it makes me feel good that I'm able to do it. And if belittling me makes you feel good you go right ahead. As for everyone else, I appreciate the help. I just replaced the heater core myself in under 4 hours(which id say is pretty good) but what do I now...

OK. Chill a little. He was referencing your immediate dismissal of the idea that two unrelated problems happened at the same time. There is no connecttion between the ac vent systems and brake system. Coincidence is possible...

Did the heater core you took out look bad? Did that fix your problem?

Old 03-13-2013, 09:48 PM
Brewer97

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Pay special attention to the line that runs over the gas tank though..... it is notorious for rusting out... before it breaks completely, and you get a RUDE surprise.
Thanks, i will be checking all drums tomorrow for leaks, as well as lines.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:27 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks, i will be checking all drums tomorrow for leaks, as well as lines.
Get a flashlight and look real good next to the gas tank. That line only needs a pinhole and sometimes the fluid will stay up on the frame rail.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:43 PM
ReadRam
All Star

You won't find a forum with as many experienced helpful people as here on DF, Including VW. And the problem is always more urgent when it's happening to our own truck.That being said, it helps if you fill in your signature with basic information about your truck and include other recent repairs. And feedback, like did the heater core you just replaced take care of the foggy mist on windsheild? Because that might help someone else down the road who has a similar problem. And good luck finding that leak.

Quick Reply: Loss of Brake Power/ Mist in vents/ Loss of fluid