2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Its still overheating

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 02:31 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The heater core is clogged and maybe your water pump looks like this one. Or the radiator is clogged too.

Attached Thumbnails Its still overheating-th_2011-09-13_15-39-15_426-600x337.jpg  
Old 03-13-2013, 05:22 PM
Ramingo
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ooop i guess i didn't read about the freeze plug removal. Zman has a good point on the water pump, ive seen some water pump impeller spin off its shaft by corrosion, rarely, but never on dodges.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:12 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

200-220 is an awfully big range for sitting there at idle, and sounds like something is wrong.

195-200 at idle would be normal.
220 is overly hot.

if its still blowing bubbles in the radiator after 45 minutes it sounds like the unspeakable. but i won't go there. instead, lets back up to the basics....

has it been overheating before, or is this a new problem that happened only after replacing freeze plugs?

top it off, put the radiator cap on, and take it for a spin around the block. see if temp will hold normal and the rest of the air will flush out. it should after a little bit of whooshing noise in the dash.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:13 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by taztech2010
After replacing All the FREEZE PLUGS I put 4 gallons in the truck.. not knowing exactly how many Gallons of antifreeze To put in..

I just added another gallon (making it 5 Gallons total, none leaking) and with its burping (not much anymore, but still burping) it spits out antifreeze.. I dont want to waist antifreeze it gets pretty $$, Dont want to Dilute with water cause then could cause problems.

Still not much heat (blower works Like it always has)... When I rev her then i get heat, for short time??
Heats been on HIGH for 45 min and truck been running for about same.. Her temp is about 200-220.. then rev her up I get heat But NOT HOT. temp goes down. Once the Temp goes down Back to No heat?? One heater hose warm (not HOT ) other cold.

Everything has been checked out.

Ideal mixture for coolant/water is 50/50 mix. Why don't people seem to know this any more?

And everything has not been checked out - something still wrong. +1 on checking pump impeller. Also tstat, creacked head, ?

Old 03-14-2013, 05:37 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramingo
Ooop i guess i didn't read about the freeze plug removal. Zman has a good point on the water pump, ive seen some water pump impeller spin off its shaft by corrosion, rarely, but never on dodges.
That pic is from a dodge ram.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:48 PM
taztech2010
Amateur

Ok, I just picked up new water pump today, serpentine belt, going to install tomorrow, and I'll let you all know how it goes. I went with Zman suggestion, only thing left it could be. I took it for a ride and did the same thing its been, not far down the road, she got hot again.

Quick question guys? Do you think the gauge is fried? it still moves like it should,but could it be reading wrong? Just a thought. I'm still going to tear her apart and put the water pump and belt on. Wish me luck!!

Old 03-16-2013, 10:09 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by taztech2010
Ok, I just picked up new water pump today, serpentine belt, going to install tomorrow, and I'll let you all know how it goes. I went with Zman suggestion, only thing left it could be. I took it for a ride and did the same thing its been, not far down the road, she got hot again.

Quick question guys? Do you think the gauge is fried? it still moves like it should,but could it be reading wrong? Just a thought. I'm still going to tear her apart and put the water pump and belt on. Wish me luck!!

What do you mean here? Gauges wither work or don't work, and when they don't, the needle usually says at the bottome of the scale. Are you talking about the temp gauge? Is it actuallly heating up, like blowing steam or water out of the overflow?

Old 03-16-2013, 10:22 PM
taztech2010
Amateur
Unhappy

When I drove the truck for test drive needle redlined at end of block.. shut truck off, started up no white smoke, no over heat, I drove home and needle was going down in temp as far as gauge read. Put in park seems to read right below half mark, I romped on it dropped more.. ran for min and temp guage started rising again... If I go out and start truck it dont seem like over heating, but Im not getting heat like I should it comes in and goes out?? all in matter on how I give it gas...

Think that ZMAN could be right about waterpump.. and maybe its not pumping fast enough at idle..

Will see tomarrow after water pump is replaced.. I got a damn chevy working on at same time.. taking my space. GRRRR

Old 03-16-2013, 10:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Sounds like no fluid movement for whatever reason. Bad pump, blockage in the system, or an air pocket...... Pull the thermostat while you have the system empty, and drill two 1/8th inch holes in it. Allows it to bleed air out nicely.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:10 PM
taztech2010
Amateur

OK heres the update.. got waterpump off here is the pic. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/members...007-42037t.jpg

its spins fine, no noise, not loose, fins are good looks clean?? except for a hole appears to have been Drilled look at pic but dont leak fluid ?? any Ideas ??

Quick Reply: Its still overheating