2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Accidentally used Dexron 3 in tranny.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 05:40 PM
HighwayDUB
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accidentally used Dexron 3 in tranny.......

I have a 1998 1500 5.2 automatic. Yesterday I spaced out in the store and grabbed Dexron 3 in a hurry instead of atf 4 and threw 1 quart in because I was low. I have a slow leak so I usually add 1 quart a month of atf 4 anyway. Today while on the highway I started to notice that torque converter shudder at around 60-70 mph, but not at lower speeds. I know this is noted in the manual as an effect when people put the wrong fluid in, and it seems to be immediately happening, but since my tranny's leaking anyway, can I just keep adding ATF 4 over the next month to balance it out so it gets back to normal, or does anyone think it's actually a necessity for me to pull the pan and drain it all?....it was only 1 quart.

Thanks

Old 03-13-2013, 05:44 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ATF+4 isn't cheap but I would drop the pan, change the filter, and refill with ATF+4.

Problem is regardless of the leak there's no way to get all the Dexron out without doing a complete flush, which is generally not advised, dropping the pan & filter usually only dumps 6-7qts, at least that's what it usually takes to refill mine after a pan drop.

Where's your leaking coming from?

Old 03-13-2013, 06:00 PM
HighwayDUB
Rookie

Looks like its dripping from the bottom of the bell housing, just behind the back of the engine oil pan. I haven't cleaned it all and spent a day observing it. I need to. I'm lazy.....

Old 03-13-2013, 06:03 PM
guzman
Professional
Default Atf 4

Originally Posted by stewie01
ATF+4 isn't cheap but I would drop the pan, change the filter, and refill with ATF+4.

Problem is regardless of the leak there's no way to get all the Dexron out without doing a complete flush, which is generally not advised, dropping the pan & filter usually only dumps 6-7qts, at least that's what it usually takes to refill mine after a pan drop.

Where's your leaking coming from?
Do like Stewie 01 says and install a drain plug while you have the pan off, saves much time and mess the next time around.
I can't stand leaks so I would recomend fixing that also.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:19 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on the drain plug. They're cheap, bout $5. And it will save time in the future

And I wonder about the front seal on the transmission as being your leak...

Old 03-13-2013, 10:57 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

based on the potential high cost of a transmission rebuild, if i did that and noticed a shifting or shuddering problem, i think i'd bite the bullet and change the fluid.

i'd get the cheaper walmart brand atf+4 fluid, $5 drain plug from Advance, filter w\rubber gasket from Advance. or you can also get a 12 quart case of Valvoline from Amazon for about $72-74.

if you want to get creative about getting out more of the old fluid, disconnect one of the trans cooler hoses and place it in a bucket. crank the truck. shift from park to neutral and allow about 2 quarts of fluid to pump out. then shift to park to stop the pump and turn the truck off. add 2 quarts and repeat this several times.

to pump out all the fluid, remove and re-add about 12-14 quarts. to get out about half the fluid and remove the rest in a pan drop, pump out about 6 quarts.

DON'T RUN THE PUMP DRY...

Old 03-14-2013, 04:28 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A can of Lubguard Black will take care of the Dextron, will also make the tranny shift better and there will be no need to for the fluid change. I've added a bottle of this stuff to my tranny at every fluid change since the truck was new and it still works perfect.

http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-177/LUBE...ATF+Supplement

Last edited by bwdakrt; 03-14-2013 at 05:42 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:13 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ good suggestion.

according to transmission pro montec, Lubegard is the only additive that should ever be put into a trans..... i think he was mostly talking about the red, but if the red is good enough for him, their other products are likely also good.

Quick Reply: Accidentally used Dexron 3 in tranny.......