2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Question about engaging 4WD with a manual transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 09:54 AM
pilsbury88
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question about engaging 4WD with a manual transmission

Hello all. I just picked up a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 5 spd manual 4WD. This is my first manual transmission vehicle, as well as my first 4WD with a manual shift transfer case. This may seem like a silly question, but I'd rather look like a fool now rather than be a bankrupt fool after breaking something.

I have searched the forum relating to 4WD operation. I have learned that I can shift into 4 Hi on the fly (releasing the gas pedal is recommended for shifting into and out of 4 Hi). 4 Lo requires stopping, shifting the tranny into neutral, shifting the transfer case into 4 Lo, then shifting into gear and proceeding. I also haven't really figured out what the neutral function on the transfer case is meant for.

My question is, with my manual transmission, do I need to fully press in the clutch to shift the transfer case into and out of 4WD, just as I would if I were shifting transmission gears? Or can I just grab that transfer case stick and slam that SOB where it needs to go?

If someone can set me straight I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance for all replies!

Old 03-18-2013, 12:27 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Push the clutch in and hold, pull on the 4wd Hi lever with steady strong force until it engages, release clutch, drive as normal. Do not exceed 45mph, do not drive on dry pavement. You will hear distinct whine from from drivetrain when engaged. When turning, you will feel the steering jerk some. To disengage, push clutch in and hold and move lever back to 2wd. You have the 4low already correct.

The T-cases on these trucks are good, but not bullet proof. Go easy at first until you get the "feel" of the rpms (same goes for the trans when daily driving). You shouldn't float gears without the clutch, but you almost can when the rpms are low enough and you get the rpms right. I was pretty jerky driving when I first got it and even had to stop to engage the 4hi. But years later, I can do it all while drinking a coffee and texting.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:37 PM
pilsbury88
Rookie

Thanks for the reply. I don't plan on clutchless shifting, not unless I have to.

Like I said this is my first manual vehicle so I'm taking it slow. I've been driving it for two days and have yet to smell any burning clutch or hear any grinding gears so I must be doing something right. 1st gear is so low in this truck that I usually start out in 2nd. It doesn't seem to harm the truck any.

On other 4WD's, I had to drive them in reverse for a certain distance in order to be certain that the hubs have disengaged. But those had the electronic 4WD activation. Would it be wise to drive in reverse in the Ram in order to be sure the hubs disengage as well?

Also what's the deal with the Neutral position on the transfer case? Can the truck be driven in this position? If not, whats it for? Thanks again.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:19 PM
newman1367
Veteran

Originally Posted by pilsbury88

Also what's the deal with the Neutral position on the transfer case? Can the truck be driven in this position? If not, whats it for? Thanks again.

Truck will not move with transfer case in neutral. Used for flat towing. Can give you a scenario if needed!

Old 03-18-2013, 05:10 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're correct about 4hi, simply let off the throttle and shift. To shift to low range the tranny doesn't have to be in neutral, simply stop with the clutch in and shift.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:03 PM
fuellube3
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought I'd give you another tip , Don't shift into 4hi while rear wheels are spinning. Like on ice or mud. Sounds like a no brainer I know, but I still do it on ocasion trying to get going on ice up here.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:24 AM
pilsbury88
Rookie

So one guy says use the clutch to shift into 4 Hi, and another guy says I can just let off the gas and shift into 4 Hi, haha which is it?

Old 03-19-2013, 01:57 AM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pilsbury88
So one guy says use the clutch to shift into 4 Hi, and another guy says I can just let off the gas and shift into 4 Hi, haha which is it?
It doesn't matter, if you want the extra step go ahead. I've used my transfer case a LOT in the manners I've described.

If you're not having to yank on the shifter and aren't making grinding sounds, it's unlikely you're doing anything wrong.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:17 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts

pilsbury88,
Yes you can shift into 4H while driving down the road. I have done it hundreds of times.
And yes to go into 4 low you want to be stop and clutch depressed.

The neutral position is there for a few reasons. You can tow the rig if it breaks is one reason, another is that alot of the first transfer cases were put into vehicles that were used for work. So they could have attachments mounted on the vehicle and to run them they used a PTO off the transfer case. So you would put the transfer case in neutral and shift the PTO in then use the throttle and tranny to control speed. One example would be a PTO winche but you would leave the transfer in gear.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:26 PM
pilsbury88
Rookie

All right. Thanks a lot for the info guys!

Quick Reply: Question about engaging 4WD with a manual transmission