2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 01:50 AM
BIGSEXY
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Muffler

Has anyone out there just eliminated the muffler all together and just ran cat and strait pipe?If so hows the sound and performance?

Old 09-17-2005, 01:54 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: No Muffler

i heard a rumor that doing that can burn up the vavles on the magnums... not really sure what that means.. but it cant be good... i did it for a day when my pipes were at the welders.... performance sucked... horibly... so it was a NICE night and day difference when my 40 series and pips were put back on... really nice... and gained a shload of mpg.... take if for what you will

Old 09-17-2005, 02:11 AM
BIGSEXY
Professional

Thanx man. I figured the convetor would give it enough backpressure to run ok,guess not.do you run 40 series with duals or single? and what size?

Old 09-17-2005, 03:02 AM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

Your cat has will give enough backpresure. I ran mine straight piped from the cat back for a few months. It seemed to me like the performance sucked, which is wierd, but then I got enough money and went for a Magnaflow system.

Old 09-17-2005, 03:11 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

ye the performance was horrible..sluggish ran like crap and shiffted really crappy....lost a lot of mileage too... i got a 40 series flowmaster 3 in inlet and 2 1/2 inch dual outs .. and 2 1/4 over tail pips headin in the bacl..sounds great and the mileage gain was really nice and i could actually FEEL the power and it shifts even better now..i think its the small change in the normal RPM's at certain speeds...who knows...i dont have my 4 inch echo tips on yet b/c im still making my mind up if i was angle out the side of the bed or dumb them short...either way they wont be showing... got chrome ones and thers no chrome on my truck so im not gonna start now.. naw' what i mean? yea save yourself the work hassle and paranoya (spell) just go straight to a well desighned exhaust system... itlll be worth the money....

Old 09-17-2005, 07:43 AM
Leonard
Veteran

SNAFU always had good first hand info to share and was always willing to help.
He is not a current poster but you can use the search function to gain some knowledge.
https://dodgeforum.com/m_82227/mpage.../tm.htm#202292

RE: cat. conv. - 5/3/2005 9:35:08 AM

Snafu
Nextel Cup Series Racer

ORIGINAL: FiveNineMag

Hey guys...sounds like y'all got an exhaust issue goin on. Tell y'all wut, this guy wants his truck to sound better and louder. I have 99 5.9 sport. I bought my truck with dual flowmasters on it. It sounded great like that but it wasnt loud enough for me, so i cut my dual pipes off and left the flowmaster on it. It sounded the same but it was definatly louder. After a couple days while driving, my truck started to sound VERY good i didnt know why! So i peeked up underneath and i realized my flowmaster had fallen off (crappy weld or something). So i have been driving with no muffler nor pipes, A.K.A. flowing right out of the cat with a 13" pipe coming off it. It is loud with the deep rumble...but the only issue is from 1300 - 1800 rpms there is a VERY slight rattle sound. The rattle isnt loud enough to **** me off but it exists. So i recommend completely taking off the muffler and pipes but leaving about 10" - 13" of pipe coming from the cat and it will sound excellent and loud with the rumble of the v8.

I've known quite a few people that ran straightpipe after the cat and split to duals out the rear of their Rams. Sounds really good. However, you'll want to run the pipes out the back of the truck or you'll suck exhaust fumes in thru the windows. A rear slider will be really bad, a sunroof will even suck fumes if left like this. Side windows won't be that bad, but you'll still get some. It also sounds better when it's not resonating under the box of the truck. Won't sound as tinney. (in reply to FiveNineMag)

Old 09-18-2005, 06:07 AM
livinginh
Veteran

My Ram has had the muffler removed for over a year now, I just have the convertor and a single pipe split into duals ran out the sides behind the rear wheels.
Truck sounds great, has plenty of power and I get roughly 18MPG on the highway. I have the 5.9 also. First thing to remember dont go much above 2 1/4 pipe all the way out the back, keeps the back pressure in check.

I would say go ahead and try it, if you dont like it, takes nothing to stick a muffler in there afterward.

Quick Reply: No Muffler