2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Installing 2" leveling kit tomorrow, need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 03:51 PM
Howells
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I did mine. I removed the shock lower bolt and removed the 3 bolts that hold the shock tripod I call it and removed the shocks. You have to keep compressing the shock to remove it. Remove one link bolt on both sides so that you can remove the link or drop the sway bar completely 4bolts. Then jack up truck so that the axle is hanging high enough that when you push down on the axle it doesn't touch the ground. Make sure the wheels are off that way you won't have to jack it up as high. Then the spring should be easily. Removed. Install spacer then fight with the spring to get it back in. Then reinstall everything. Done

Old 03-23-2013, 05:15 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

(you KNOW someone had to do this.......)

Old 03-24-2013, 12:09 AM
Howells
Rookie

Agreed.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:47 PM
nickr519
Amateur

Hi all,

Thanks for all of your help! I ended up following the stock instructions pretty closely. Only difference being I compressed the coil springs in order to remove and reinsert them as I couldn't get enough clearance between the body and the front assembly, and was more than a little trigger shy to detach other suspension members. Here's some pics from the install:

http://imgur.com/a/H4ueg/all

Originally Posted by gdstock

(you KNOW someone had to do this.......)
I'll post pictures with the new wheel and tire getup once they're mounted tomorrow!

Old 03-24-2013, 05:22 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nickr519
Hi all,

Thanks for all of your help! I ended up following the stock instructions pretty closely. Only difference being I compressed the coil springs in order to remove and reinsert them as I couldn't get enough clearance between the body and the front assembly, and was more than a little trigger shy to detach other suspension members. Here's some pics from the install:

http://imgur.com/a/H4ueg/all

I'll post pictures with the new wheel and tire getup once they're mounted tomorrow!
I like the "baby" jack on the driver side! ...lol.....

Old 03-24-2013, 05:43 PM
nickr519
Amateur

Originally Posted by gdstock
I like the "baby" jack on the driver side! ...lol.....
Yeah, the little guy! It was nice having both jacks to "walk" the front assembly up and down.

On another note, I just drove a little too fast and started to get what I can only imagine is what is known as the death wobble. No more driving this thing over 50 until I get an alignment done.

I've taken the truck to 85 before this and never had any problems, but HBS did say that sometimes the raising of the front can bring about the problem. Anyone care to guess what the odds are of it going away after the alignment?

Old 03-24-2013, 05:50 PM
Jimythefan
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Double check all the front end parts for wear first, then get it aligned and think about getting a better steering stabilizer. That will help.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:03 PM
nickr519
Amateur

Originally Posted by Jimythefan
Double check all the front end parts for wear first, then get it aligned and think about getting a better steering stabilizer. That will help.
will do, thanks. I am relatively certain my steering stabilizer is shot.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:08 PM
Jimythefan
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You won't need a double, a heavy duty single unit will work fine.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:44 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Lifting can bring out the death wobble. My assumption is that when lifted the caster is reduced which causes it.

I came to this theory by the fact that mine wonders on the road more after the level kit. But when I hook up the plow it doesnt do it as bad. I figure that the weight of the plow lowering the truck puts the caster closer to where it was before the level.

This is just my $.02 and I may be wrong.

Quick Reply: Installing 2" leveling kit tomorrow, need some advice.