2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Burning up fuse problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 10:02 PM
joshmopar
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning up fuse problem

So i just picked up this truck the other day and on the way home it blew the ign fuse, the one under the hood. As i was looking around the engine bay i saw that the smaller ground wire wasnt hooked to anything so i put it on one of the radiator support bolts. Not sure where it goes so any info on that would be nice if anybody knows. Anyways I replaced the ign fuse and truck fired right up. But went out tonight to start it and the fuse was blown. I went to put another one in and it popped as i was putting the fuse in. Anybody know where to look i would greatly appreciate it.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:25 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hard to tell not knowing if anything has been added to the wiring.

From battery negative, a large cable goes to engine block. and smaller grounds to frame below battery, one to fender. I think there is a third, but cannot recall for sure.

Last edited by gdstock; 03-24-2013 at 11:28 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:56 PM
joshmopar
Professional

Yea the kid before me added a bunch of off road lights and a cb radio. Well he kept the cb but neglected to tell me he didnt take the f******* positive wire out and just shoved it under the dash. Well as anybody with a brain knows its going to ground out if it touches the dash support. And that is exactly what was going on. The reason it didnt blow when i swapped the fuse the first time was because i had unhooked it oddly enough. But i hooked it back up after seeing if the blown fuse was the only problem. Now to just fix the other ugly wiring he did.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:27 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One thing I hate about buying any used vehicle - people that should not do wiring ALWAYS do, and they jack it up! That is why I conditioned previous post with "anything added..."

Check for other fubar issues. I am sure there is more! Good luck!

Old 03-24-2013, 11:40 PM
joshmopar
Professional

Yea, the kid put 2 sets off offroad lights on it and used those house wiring things to connect the wires. Going to fix that next and heat shrink it all.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:49 PM
joshmopar
Professional

The exhaust is also lacking in completeness.

Quick Reply: Burning up fuse problem