2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

trans and possible motor problems?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 08:15 PM
dodge014x4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans and possible motor problems?

ok heres the issue. I have a 2001 dodge 1500 4x4 with the 5.9L. I have had the trans rebuilt because i got water in it mudding then had some problems with it over heating and comming out of o/d while driving. I took the lines off and blew out the radiator and also the trans cooler ninfront of the radiator. That seemed to fix that problem and I have been driving it with only miner slipping out of it which i assumed came from getting a little to hot. Now the other day I was out and when I gave it some gas to pass another car it shifted hard into and out of passing gear. It drove fine after that untill I got to where I was going and when I got stoped it shuttered and killed the motor. Now it will crank back up fine in park or nuteral but as soon as i put it in any gear it lurches and kills the motor like staling a stick shift would. I discovered that if i give it gas as I put it in gear it will go but I have to give it alot of gas and if i stop when the rpms get to low andit stops roling it shutters and dies again. I dont have a job right now so money is kinda a issue so I was hoping for something a little more solid other than just trial and error so if any of you have ever herd of this I would except any and all help thank you for your time and consideration.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:28 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

May or may not be the problem, but I had an '86 LeSabre that had a locking torque converter. One day it started doing similar as your describing, what happened with it was it would stall when stopping. Put it in neutral or park it would start right up. Would go into and move fine in gear. Come to a stop and it would stall.

What was happening with it was the torque converter would lock and not unlock, killing the motor. On it I unplugged the elec. connector so i would not lock anymore. Had no more problems.

Short version: Sounds like the torque converter may be locked for whatever reason and not unlocking. I'm not sure on this though.

I dont know much about the trans to know what exactly to tell you what to do. Someone else that knows more would need to chime in.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:03 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Welcome to DF You are in the "tech" section. Anyone searching for a similar problem as yours isn't going to find it, because they are not going to do a search for "need help please" . I will change the thread title for you, if you tell me what you'd like it to be instead.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:05 PM
dodge014x4

trans and possable motor problems? What do you think would be a good Title?

Old 03-30-2013, 09:13 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Almost anything is better. LOL That sounds fine, I'll take care of it. And thanks, you came to best place for help on your Ram.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:18 PM
dodge014x4

thank you this truck means alot to me and I really want to get it on the rode again

Old 03-30-2013, 09:28 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

I'm thinking TC also. Make sure the main plug on the side of the tranny is in good condition. And drop the pan and see what's in it.

Quick Reply: trans and possible motor problems?