2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Refilled A/C but not cold?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 04:29 PM
jesssed
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Refilled A/C but not cold?

I've owned the my 2001 ram 3.9L since 2006 and it has been great to me. The A/c stopped working a month after I got it (May 06) i thought it was broken, went 2 summers with out a/c and realized i needed to refill it, so i bought a can at the auto parts store refilled it and it worked great. I've only had to refill it twice, well my heater core went out in '08 and have been without a heater for several winters. I finally got off my butt and replaced the heater core, when doing so I pulled the a/c lines off the firewall and my freon exploded out very loud scared the crap out of me, so i reconnected them and thought i'll refill it in the spring. I recently went to the auto parts store and purchased a refill can and did like I always do and refill it at the low port side. The a/c is blowing hot air not cold, not even slightly cool.

The compressor kicks on and the a/c lines are ice cold?

any help would be very appreciated, the temperature in Texas is about to hot

thanks,

Jesse D.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:32 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you hook everything up properly when you put the heater core in? I've got a suspicion, but go out and try turning the temp **** the opposite way and the fan control onto A/C at the fastest speed.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:49 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

One can is not enough. and it was not a good idea to wait. It had air in the system which can damage it. Not to mention you can't disconnect it like that and expect to just put some 134a in it. It needs to be evacuated first. Which will also tell you if you have a leak in the system.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:53 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

Most ac systems take @2 lbs of refrigerant. One can is usually not even one lb. (unless it is a big can) Like zman said, the best thing to do is have it vacuumed and then refilled properly. In a pinch, you can buy refrigerant with dye in it to spot a leak.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:02 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Most ac systems take @2 lbs of refrigerant. One can is usually not even one lb. (unless it is a big can) Like zman said, the best thing to do is have it vacuumed and then refilled properly. In a pinch, you can buy refrigerant with dye in it to spot a leak.

The dye works great if it's not the evap core that's leaking.

Quick Reply: Refilled A/C but not cold?