2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46RE E clip in the pan

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 05:47 PM
caripple
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46RE E clip in the pan

I decided to change the transmission fluid and filter and while I was in there I would install a Borg govoner solonoid and a pressure sensor. When I took the pan off there was an E clip on the magnet. The E clip looks just like the one on the park rod but there was one there. I installed the govoner solonoid and pressure sensor, put the pan back on and filled it up. Seems to drive and shift OK so I don't know where the clip came from. I looked in the service manual and there were two E clips in the valve body and one of the drawing makes it look like the E clip on the shuttle valve could come out and end up in the pan but the other one would be captured in the valve bore.
Truck is a 99 5.2 auto 4wd with 145K miles.
Has anyone found an E clip in the pan and if where did it come from?

Old 04-02-2013, 06:16 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could you post a picture of the clip?

Old 04-02-2013, 07:15 PM
CSDavies26
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had my valve body apart and the only thing that comes to mind is the e-clip that holds the "rooster comb" on...that probably the one that you believe would have been captured by the valve body. You may want to disassemble the valve body just for peace of mind, if that rooster comb comes apart you've just lost your ability to shift from park to reverse to neutral to drive, etc (it controls the manual valve)

Old 04-02-2013, 07:34 PM
caripple

I guess I don't know how to attach a photo (tried no luck) and I don't have a photobucket account. The E clip is a little smaller than a dime. It looks just like the one on the park rod. I think it may have come from the shuttle valve in Fig 298 of the 02 service manual.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:00 PM
caripple

Originally Posted by CSDavies26
I've had my valve body apart and the only thing that comes to mind is the e-clip that holds the "rooster comb" on...that probably the one that you believe would have been captured by the valve body. You may want to disassemble the valve body just for peace of mind, if that rooster comb comes apart you've just lost your ability to shift from park to reverse to neutral to drive, etc (it controls the manual valve)
If the roster comb is part of the manual lever that selects what gear you are in we may be talking about the same E clip when I say park rod. The park rod goes through the manual lever and has an E clip but mine is there. It is fig 280 in the service manual. Thanks for the reply.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:08 PM
CSDavies26
Veteran

Originally Posted by caripple
If the roster comb is part of the manual lever that selects what gear you are in we may be talking about the same E clip when I say park rod. The park rod goes through the manual lever and has an E clip but mine is there. It is fig 280 in the service manual. Thanks for the reply.
I believe there are actually two e-clips associated with that manual lever. i'm looking at page 21-628 in the 01 service manual (i hope that you don't actually have the 02 service manual as you said in the post before as the 02 trannys are different i believe (47re?)) anyway, read the procedure steps 12-14 and you'll notice that it actually instructs you to remove two e-clips, see figs 280 and 281. if you have both e clips there, then i give up hah

Old 04-03-2013, 04:41 PM
caripple

I believe there are actually two e-clips associated with that manual lever. i'm looking at page 21-628 in the 01 service manual (i hope that you don't actually have the 02 service manual as you said in the post before as the 02 trannys are different i believe (47re?)) anyway, read the procedure steps 12-14 and you'll notice that it actually instructs you to remove two e-clips, see figs 280 and 281. if you have both e clips there, then i give up hah
Yes your are right it is the 01 manual from this forum and I will check for the E clip you suggest. Is it visable from the outside of transmission on the shaft the shift linkage hooks up to or do I have to pull the valve body to make sure it is there? Thanks for your help.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:51 AM
CSDavies26
Veteran

Unfortunately you're gonna have to pull the valve body to see that second clip...I think only the one e clip is visible from the outside. I don't know how much it concerns you and I'm not sure how vital that clip is to keeping the rooster comb in place...it's kind of a shame to waste all that tranny fluid you just put in there

Old 04-04-2013, 05:07 PM
caripple

Unfortunately you're gonna have to pull the valve body to see that second clip...I think only the one e clip is visible from the outside. I don't know how much it concerns you and I'm not sure how vital that clip is to keeping the rooster comb in place...it's kind of a shame to waste all that tranny fluid you just put in there
Thanks for the information. It seems to be working fine for now now so I will probably leave it until next fluid change if it doesn't give me problems, and drope the vale body then to look. Thanks again

Quick Reply: 46RE E clip in the pan