2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Speedo/cruise Quit(and Thanks!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 09:39 AM
jham0077
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedo/cruise Quit(and Thanks!)

I have been having problems with the wife's truck over the past 3 months or so, mainly lack of time to fix things. I replaced the vital stuff, wheel cylinder. The BRAKE and ABS lights are still on. I thought maybe the sensor on the chunk would fix the ABS light, but it didn't. The next day after replacing it, the speedo quit. After digging around on the net(most google searches lead me here) and figuring out exactly what made the speedo work I started checking the wiring. The harness going to the RWAL sensor was faulty. I couldn't get continuity in the short pigtail and couldn't find just the pigtail alone. The harness was long enough to reach by itself when it's re-routed. But there was a bad spot in it where it was rubbing the torsion bar. Quick fix, re-route it, unhook battery, and it's back to working. BRAKE and ABS lights are still on but I have a caliper to replace yet and then a thorough bleeding to do will hopefully solve those issues. This site is a wonderful place and thanks to all the people here.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:04 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you actually have brakes? If not, the master cylinder may be bad.

As for your cruise, there is a servo box-thing (I don't remember what it's called!) under the battery tray that likes to break vacuum lines. Check that guy.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:48 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,214 Likes on 2,965 Posts

If the speedo doesn't work, neither will the cruise. Sounds like the sensor you got is bad. Warranty it out, replace it again, with a better quality piece.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:31 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

+1. And disconnect the negative battery cable before doing so. This will reset the PCM so it can learn the new part(s).

Quick Reply: Speedo/cruise Quit(and Thanks!)