2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

motor problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 03:02 PM
pickemuptruck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy motor problems

I have a 2000 ram 1500 sport 4x4 with a 5.2 engine. About a year ago, it wouldn't run..Had a new crank sensor installed and it's running like a champ!! About 2 months ago it starts acting up, would start and run fine, but after it's warmed up , if you stop and shut it off, when you start it back up, in about 20-30 seconds it would start running really rough.. Rev it up a few times and it would start running fine. It started acting up more and more- took it to the dealer and they said it had a bad lower intake manifold gasket. Had that repaired! now it starts fine but is back to running rough after 20-30 seconds again... When its running rough it sounds like its sucking air, but my friend sprayed starter fluid/carb cleaner all around the motor and he found no leaks. if your driving when it starts running rough it also sounds like its back firing at the carb/throttle body, if I put it in neutral and give it gas it run's smooth-put it back in drive and it acts up again. If it had a carb and choke I'd swear it's the choke sticking! Any body got any ideas!!!!! Thanks Larry

Old 04-08-2013, 03:08 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Try cleaning the IAC, disconnect negative battery before doing so. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...n-the-iac.html

Read the plenum sticky. Even though the gasket was fixed , the cat and o2 are surely also no good if the plenum gasket was in fact no good. You need to start there.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:17 PM
pickemuptruck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Thanks I'll trythe IAC.. P.S. The dealer wanted 1800.00 to replace the gaskets, so I had it done elsewhere, and they said that the gaskets were not bad after they removed the intake, *installed new gaskets,cap and rotor=same problem...

Old 04-10-2013, 09:26 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pull the upstream O2 sensor out and see if it runs better.

Quick Reply: motor problems