2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1994 5.9L 1500 wont turn over... Please take a look.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 05:43 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by gdstock
That is why I was concerned with the contradicting info on compression (but did not want to scare someone about timing chain...). And rotor position is off from where it should be which would keep it from running.
Seems like the OP is more than capable, so I wouldn't worry about scaring him.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:44 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DrekaloLakovic
ill test the compression after i finish checking timing. be back soon.

im currently taking off the distributor, already have drive side valve cover off and going to post weather or not that arm is really pointing the wrong way..
Just the distributor "cap" I hope. And don't forget to mark/see the #1 that is on the cap.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:49 PM
DrekaloLakovic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After taking out the distributor and getting engine to TDC number 1 cyclinder. My friend brian found the valves behaving like a skipped tooth on the cam shaft. The distributor rotor was pointing directly at the front of the engine, should be pointing at 1 right ? We determined the timing chain needed to be removed and cam rotated back a tooth and possibly the chain needs replacing. After hitting the service manual its all pointing at the "stretched chain" cause of this problem, mixed with what you guys have told me, towing it to the shop is a good idea.

I am going to tow it to mufflertech performance, they do awesome work and im going to be sure to put the results of this up for anyone else to see what issues were found in my truck.

Anyone else had their distributor point the front of the engine like this and found the cause not to be a dreaded cam tooth skip ? I want to believe i can fix it without taking that chain off but i think this is going to cost a couple bucks$$.

any suggestions for a cam kit that runs awesome in these trucks ? lol might as well keep my mind on upgrades to keep me happy.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:48 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One thing about the timing chain.....get a double roller set instead of the OEM Morse style chain.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:26 PM
DrekaloLakovic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gdstock
One thing about the timing chain.....get a double roller set instead of the OEM Morse style chain.
the guys at muffler tech performance said thats a definite solve to chain stretching. They put it back together and ran diagnostics all day today. Waiting for results of all tests tomorrow.

instead of pulling the engine apart and fixing the cam timing right away, they put it back together and started from where they could hear it not starting. Alright, they said it didnt start... just like i couldn't start it for two days. they spent three hours trying to start it, so im still positive the cam timing is off, the valves are a touch open on #1 cylinder TDC, which is directly bad cam timing in most peoples knowlege? i thought it was pointing at a skipped chain, but i am awaiting what they say tomorrow and will post it.

People are trying to talk me out of my 2nd gen ram, but i have two, and im not giving up. Ive owned rams, two of em in the passed year and ive loved it. Theyre my first and second truck, im not about to sell them for wrecker price or parts wagons for something as simple as this. Tow truck offered me 200 for my parked truck today, im almost offended, love my rams.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:55 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There was a post within this week of another member with a really stretched chain. You might search for it. His would start, but made terrible noises on the front end.

Quick Reply: 1994 5.9L 1500 wont turn over... Please take a look.