2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

randomly will die as soon as the key is back to the run position..

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 01:57 PM
ibtiggerrr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry randomly will die as soon as the key is back to the run position..

01 1500 ram 5.2 it is randomly ( any time of day, various time between driving....) When I turn it over it starts and as soon as the key is back into the run position it will have turned off. If I can get my foot onto the gas fast enough I can keep it running and then as long as I continue to do this after a while it will be fine. I had it put onto the computer and there is absolutely no code history (check engine light sometimes comes on). I attempted to have the code read after the check engine light had came on, failed to read a code. Other symptoms that I am unsure if related or not. 1) seat belt light will come on while I am wearing my seat belt, randomly 2) yesterday I noticed that my stereo lights were flickering. Is this a common quirk of dodges? Any suggestions?

Old 04-10-2013, 02:14 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Welcome to DF.

If you have tilt steering wheel , pull the covers off and check the wire's and the plugs going to the various component's on the column. Check that all fuse's (by door jamb and under hood) are good and are seated properly. Check as many ground wire's as you can find under the hood. Check battery connections, alt connections, pcm connections. Basically check all the wiring. You can download a free 2001 service manual from the FAQ/DIY to help with tracing wire's.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:01 PM
ibtiggerrr
Default thank you...

let the fun begin...

Old 04-10-2013, 03:12 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

As far as the starting goes, it could simply be a bad ignition switch. But, before spending any money, I'd try the PITA (free) troubleshooting first.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:47 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There should be a ground behind the passenger head to firewall near PCM. Also from battery negative should be one large on to the engine by power steering pump, one to the fender, and one to the frame below battery near radiator.

Make sure they are all clean and tight.

Check the wires under the column as zman mentioned and really look closely at any splices that a previous owner may have made (poorly).

Old 04-16-2013, 08:44 AM
Kozmo
Amateur

Subscribed
Having what seems to be the same issue ('98 5.9 1500 4x4).
ibtiggerrr - Any update?

Old 04-17-2013, 09:18 AM
ibtiggerrr
Default update with my resolution

yes, I decided to change out the throttle body position sensor because it was under 35$. I then attempted to change out the intake air control valve, one of the bolts was attempting to strip out. I put every thing back together without changing out the intake air control valve. turned the key, it turned off when key was in the run position, tried a second time it started and this time stayed running and it FINALLY coded "intake air control valve" was the issue. I then got some help to change it and it runs great now.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:03 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,211 Likes on 2,962 Posts

Coolness! Glad ya got it fixed.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:32 PM
ibtiggerrr

thank you... I was getting very frustrated.... just glad it was the pmc...

Quick Reply: randomly will die as soon as the key is back to the run position..