2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Pulley Bolt Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 09:25 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pulley Bolt Question

So while checking things over for my power steering leak (PS fluid is full BTW, brake fluid is at add) I noticed the bolt for the pulley wasn't looking right, here's some pics:

Bolt and washer sticking out:

It would look like the washer is supposed to fit into the hole on the pulley, but I can't get it in. 3rd pic down is as far in as it goes..

I'm not really finding much about the pulley in the FSM, maybe just looking over it...

But anway, is the washer supposed to go into the hole on the pulley? The bolt is fine, I did try to tighten the bolt down but it wouldn't tighten any, but it wasn't loose either...

Old 04-11-2013, 09:54 AM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah that washer is suppoed to fit into the pulley. least it was designed to. maybe take a dremel, and smooth the bearing cup surface to make it fit?!

Old 04-11-2013, 12:37 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's what I figured, but didn't wanna screw anything up. I got the piece back together and installed

Used a wire brush on a bench grinder to clean up the washer a bit, then a little bit of PB Blaster and a few taps from a hammer and she was in

Although I'm confused as to how this happened. I don't remember installing it wrong, and that pulley hasn't been off for quite some time either... Weird..

Old 04-11-2013, 12:48 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just a tidbit for you, those little bearings can be greased, just use a small pick to remove the dust cover from the side of the bearing "CAREFULLY", put some grease on the bearings then put/snap the dust cover back on. You might bend the dust cover a little bit so just flatten it out again before you install it. You can also just buy that little bearing as well no need to replace the whole pulley.

Quick Reply: Pulley Bolt Question