2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stall issue- ignition coil harness question

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 11:39 AM
Countryboy_4_life
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stall issue- ignition coil harness question

Just the past couple days my truck started doing a random stall where it just dies. Please bear with the long description but I wanted to include as much info leading up to the problem

It started the day the wife and I finished the plenum swap (Hughes kit). Put everything back together and it took a few tries to get it to fire up, at first thought no big deal, thought it had something to do with the fuel system being depressurized for a couple days. After the first few tries I put a tester on the coil to check for spark, it didn't light up but the next crank it fired right up.

Let her idle to temp, then took it a few miles down the road, no problems.

Next day going into town, went about 8 miles and made a couple stops for errands, then going along, was on the throttle much, and it just dies. Fuel pump was priming when I keyed ignition but it wouldn't fire. Checked all the connections to sensors and plug wires keying the ignition after checking each connection. It fire up until I starting checking the coil wire. Started right up, and drove it back home. where I was able to shut it off and start it up a dozen or so times without issue.

Now last night, I start her up and do a wiggle test of any wire or connection that could be culprit. This is what I found, when I wiggle the wire harness to the ignition coil it will stall. I have an Accel coil which although its been in there almost two years its only got around 8,000 miles on it, which means I have the wire harness adapter to connect the factory harness to the coil. The wires in the adapter seem very loose into the connector and fiddling with those wires seems to be what causes the stall. Thinking that clambering around the engine bay doing to intake I must have yanked the wires and messed up the connection. I'm going to get a new adapter harness and see if that fixes it.

Also wondering if anyone has had to replace the whole factory harness going to the ignition coil, if so is that a dealer only part? and how big of a pain was it?

Also the computer was reset when we did the plenum, all plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil have around 8k miles on them, O2 sensors were changed with the cat just 3 months back. Was leaning twaord Crank sensor until I found the gremlin in the harness.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:51 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most likely that coil connection. Have a factory coil to throw on to make sure?

Old 04-17-2013, 12:00 PM
Countryboy_4_life
Rookie

just rummaged through my garage, I really thought I had saved the factory one just as a back up, I'll check again but if I dont find it think I'll shoot down to the junk yard and see if I can grab one cheap.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:45 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Accel coil = junk. Don't ask how I know. Buy a "standard motor products" brand coil. And actually, you'll be better off with a factory coil from the JY, rather than the Accel.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:51 AM
Countryboy_4_life
Rookie

Grabbed a new adapter harness for the accel coil and problem seems to be solved. But yeah, I think I'm going to go back to a stock coil, I'm not happy with an adapter harness that could be a weak link like that.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:28 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Just keep a spare oem coil with you.

Quick Reply: Stall issue- ignition coil harness question