2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Temperature gauge, Heating, and stalling problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 05:23 PM
Bigdaddy590
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temperature gauge, Heating, and stalling problem

I have a 98 ram 1500 with the 3.9L V6 with a standard tranny. I'm having quite a few problems that have all emerged at once. I'm hoping all of them are related and easily fixed, but I need y'alls help in deciding where to start.

My first problem began around Christmas. When I come to a stop or go from accelerating to coasting my truck stalls out. It doesn't do it every time and some days it is worse than others. Sometimes it sputters but it usually dies with out much warning and many times the only way I know it is from the power steering not working. It has no trouble starting back up.

The second problem is related to the Temp gauge on the gauge panel. The gauge never gets above ~ 150. My third problem is the heater doesnt HOT air. It will blow lukewarm air but not hot air. This honestly isnt a problemis as I live in Texas but It sounds like something that could be an indicator of the problems above.

So this is what I have already replaced:
Crankshaft Position Sensor ~2 years ago during a clutch rebuild
Thermostat ~1 year ago while replacing a short hose that runs from the block to the water pump
Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor 2 days ago to see if it would help with these problems

After replacing the ECT sensor I tested both the resistance through the new sensor and the voltage in the connector to the sensor. Both are in spec with what is in my Haynes manual.

I'm lost and not sure if any of these are related or if they're all independent of one another. What says the forum?

Attached Images  
Old 04-19-2013, 05:47 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Try cleaning the IAC for the stall issue. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...n-the-iac.html Disconnect negative battery cable before doing so.

For the heat problem, I'd try burping the system first. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...nt-system.html

Quick Reply: Temperature gauge, Heating, and stalling problem