2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

SCT Tuner & Natural Gas

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 09:31 PM
scottas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SCT Tuner & Natural Gas

Now that I finally graduated, I finally have the time and a little money to work on the truck I bought last year. I am convinced that I am in need of a plenum plate, although I am considering an M1 or Air Gap since that is what I want in the long-run, and so that is my first priority.

At any rate, I do have the death flash, and I talked to Sean at Hemifever today about getting a SCT 9550 to remove death flash and to remove torque management. Any added pep would be a welcome sight.

Additionally, I am going to be converting my truck to run on natural gas (truck will be bi-fuel). Here in Utah, natural gas is less than 50% of unleaded and the price almost never fluctuates. I am concerned because I feel like I might miss out on many of the benefits of having the SCT because the natural gas system will have its own tuning. If that is case, is having the SCT worthwhile for its benefits outside of tuning? Thanks.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:38 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scottas
Now that I finally graduated, I finally have the time and a little money to work on the truck I bought last year. I am convinced that I am in need of a plenum plate, although I am considering an M1 or Air Gap since that is what I want in the long-run, and so that is my first priority.

At any rate, I do have the death flash, and I talked to Sean at Hemifever today about getting a SCT 9550 to remove death flash and to remove torque management. Any added pep would be a welcome sight.

Additionally, I am going to be converting my truck to run on natural gas (truck will be bi-fuel). Here in Utah, natural gas is less than 50% of unleaded and the price almost never fluctuates. I am concerned because I feel like I might miss out on many of the benefits of having the SCT because the natural gas system will have its own tuning. If that is case, is having the SCT worthwhile for its benefits outside of tuning? Thanks.
What kind of tuning will your gas setup have?

If you want an SCT you should do it soon, before Sean runs out of stock, since it has been discontinued by SCT.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:53 PM
scottas

Originally Posted by stewie01
What kind of tuning will your gas setup have?

If you want an SCT you should do it soon, before Sean runs out of stock, since it has been discontinued by SCT.
Stewie, I am not sure I understand the question. I will be using this kit: http://ews.mybigcommerce.com/millenn...s-model-cngm8/

It has a PCM-like controller, but I believe much of the natural gas tuning is done manually. I think when I tow or need performance, I will be running unleaded.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:08 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scottas
Stewie, I am not sure I understand the question. I will be using this kit: http://ews.mybigcommerce.com/millenn...s-model-cngm8/

It has a PCM-like controller, but I believe much of the natural gas tuning is done manually. I think when I tow or need performance, I will be running unleaded.
You said the CNG would have it's own tuning. I was wondering what that was..

It seems it doesn't overwrite the factory programming in the PCM, so you'll probably want the SCT too..

Old 05-06-2013, 11:10 PM
scottas

Thanks for your input. I went ahead with ordering the tuner from Sean. I am hoping to take advantage of some of the higher octane tunes, possibly custom if deemed necessary, since CNG has an octane rating of 120-130.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:15 AM
RareColorRam1995
Professional

Discontinued by SCT? I hope someone chimes in and clarifies, because I sure as hell don't want to lose my customer support.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:18 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The SCT 9550 x2 tuner has been discontinued. Sean still tunes for them and SCT will be coming out with the SCT x3 in a few months. It will cost more but will have more features.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:19 AM
scottas

Check the thread by redneckram about the tuner.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:13 AM
scottas

I got my tuner from Sean at Hemifever today. I loaded up the 87 tune and I am happy with the changes to my Ram. I will probably return the truck to stock tomorrow since I haven't done my plenum plate or replaced my thermostat (next week's project plus a new timing set).

Edit: I will be picking up my natural gas kit tomorrow morning and I will start the install once I finish getting the truck up to snuff.

Last edited by scottas; 05-10-2013 at 01:16 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:29 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have had a few lpg trucks and they all had a piggy back ign box that would be activated when lpg was used. Does this cng kit not have that box? Stopping to switch over to the sct prog would be a pita. If the cng has a ign box it will override whatever tune is on the stock pcm.

Quick Reply: SCT Tuner & Natural Gas