2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

noob that needs help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 10:27 AM
superman79
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okay this is going to sound stupid....but it turns out that there is a check valve in the oil filters, and the new oil filter was bad and wouldnt open the valve to let oil pass though so i had no oil pressure....i use to run a fram then people said they was breaking down and would make ur bearings come out to run a puralator. and guess what fram never let me down and puralator did. i guess i shall try mobile one...

Old 05-13-2013, 05:05 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Wix, FTW.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:03 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow that is scary. Could have toasted a motor simply due to a faulty oil filter.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:19 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ive always used puralator classics. Never had a problem. I dont have a V10 though so the filters are obviously different

Old 05-14-2013, 12:09 PM
superman79

Originally Posted by Wombat Ranger
Wow that is scary. Could have toasted a motor simply due to a faulty oil filter.

After doing some more research about the oil filters it turns out that also drag cars running a high volume or pressure oil pump that Fram filters can actually be sucked through the motor and toast the Bearings there was a guy who build three motors before he finally figured out that was the problem. But your right it's very scary that an oil filter could and can trash a motor when it's suppose to help make it last longer go figure. It's hard to find anything made that's half way decently made anymore

Old 05-14-2013, 12:29 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I gotta agree with Z. Wix are probably the best filters out there right now.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:42 AM
Paul DeHayes
Professional

Wix is definitely a great filter all day long, but what about Baldwin? I was watching a filter cut-up video recently, and saw the comparisons with other brands: primarily the Baldwin having a heavier duty bottom spring, heavier filter media, metal endcaps and so on. Any one have experience with those? (I usually stick with the old MO-090 for mine, call me curious..........)

Old 05-15-2013, 02:44 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul DeHayes
Wix is definitely a great filter all day long, but what about Baldwin? I was watching a filter cut-up video recently, and saw the comparisons with other brands: primarily the Baldwin having a heavier duty bottom spring, heavier filter media, metal endcaps and so on. Any one have experience with those? (I usually stick with the old MO-090 for mine, call me curious..........)

Baldwin is what I use when I can get them, I will use no other filter in my 68 stang. I order them online, because no one around here stocks them . Wix , only for the simple reason I get them locally.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:59 PM
Paul DeHayes
Professional

Nice zman, I am definitely thinking about getting a Baldwin filter for my next oil change here soon. The Grainger distribution center down the street from me stocks them, so I plan on paying them a visit, that or nabbing it online before the next 1000 miles.....

Old 05-16-2013, 04:04 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

I have used Fram filters religiously in every car I have owned since I was old enough to drive and NEVER had one single engine related issue caused by an oil filter, but all this talk about how fram is really crap has me concerned. I think I may be changing brands real soon, see if I can find Wix filters around here for my 6 vehicles.

Quick Reply: noob that needs help!!!!!