2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

anyone ever intall oem foglights?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 02:40 AM
01ramclassic
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone ever intall oem foglights?

I have just bought an oem complete foglight kit for my 01 ram for a killer price off of ebay. I bought it off of a guy that purchased the whole kit for his 2000 ram but never got around to intalling it. It came in today and after I read the instructions on intalling them I now know why he never got around to it. It seems like it will take all day. Has anyone ever put these in and know the best way to do it? Thanks. -Tyler

Old 09-23-2005, 06:04 PM
theshocker
Veteran
Default RE: anyone ever intall oem foglights?

When I put my bull bar on I had to take the bumper off so I got a good look at how they are mounted. There are two screws that the bracket mounts with. These two screws go through the front of the bumper. I think you will have to remove the black cover on top of the bumper to access the screws. After that I am pretty sure that it is fairly easy. GOOD LUCK!

Old 09-23-2005, 10:13 PM
Tani1500
Champion

I know what your talking about when you say its a pain in the a$$. Ive never done them yet but i can only imagine. I know theres a delay switch on it or something. I would just buy some round PIAA's or KC and stick them in there instead. I was consitering doing that But my truck is enough of a rolling light show. They would be definatly brighter

Old 09-26-2005, 01:36 PM
ljpierce_ely
Veteran

I installed the OEM fog lights on my 98 and yes, the bumper has to come off. The instructions didn't give me a clue to that little fact until I got into it.

Exercise extreme caution removing the plastic fascias from the front bumper. The screws on the ends of the top part (the ones in the wheel wells) get corroded, and will most likely NOT unscrew. You would be best to be ready to replace them and you may have to do a little bit of repair to the plastic to get them to re-attach. Also, as much as possible, do not pull on the plastic from the outside of the bumper. Press the plastic holders that hold the fascia's to the bumper, from behind the bumper. A pair of pliers to squeeze them will work best. If you pull the fascias from the outside, you will cause bends in the plastic fascias and possibly tear the plastic retainers from them. Repair of those pieces is difficult at best. The fascias MUST come off in order to both access the bumper mounting bolts, as well as the fog light mounting holes.

Pulling the bumper is a little difficult compared to tapping into the electrical system. The extremely hard part was tapping the fog light electrical circuit into the wiring behind the fuse box. I hope you are limber enough to get your hands and arms moved around like a Yoga instructor, or at least double jointed. That part alone took me over 2 hours to get accomplished. There are 3 or 4 color coded connectors on the fuse box. The one I needed to get at was the most difficult one to reach. I ended up tearing the heck out of my fingers and my arms on the metal under the dash getting access to it. If I remember correctly, the wire you need is removed from the connector itself, replaced with a wire from the fog light harness, then the wire you originally removed is placed into the circut for the fog lights. Sounds more difficult than it really is.

Old 09-26-2005, 01:45 PM
ljpierce_ely
Veteran

Once I thought about it, I remember specifically that the black part up top MUST come off to gain access but the bottom portion only had to come off if you remove the bumper. The reason for removing the bumper is ONLY because the way the bumper mounting is done, is right near where the lights mount and the lights cannot be mounted to the bumper with the supports in the way. Alternatively, I believe you can remove the supports in that area, but if my memory serves, it was more difficult to do that than it was to just pull the bumper off. Many of the bolts were difficult to reach without having access to a good tool set and air ratchets/air impact guns.

Old 09-26-2005, 03:05 PM
01ramclassic
All Star

After hearing all of that and reading the instructions I think that I'm just gonna break down and pay someone else to do it like my bodyshop. I just think that I'm gonna f#ck it up if I attempt it. Thanks for the feedback anyways. -Tyler

Old 09-28-2005, 02:42 AM
xsputts

I installed a set of factory lights on my 2000 and it took me about 4 hours to acomplish. The hardest part was replacing the plastic that holds them in place, I drilled through it when drilling out the plastic rivets. Oops. Anyway, I did not have much problem with the wiring as I did not tap into the wire to turn them off when the high beams are turned on. Also, the wiring harness that plugs into the new head light switch can be disassembled VERY CAREFULLY and the new wire put in the correct spot. You might as well try it. If it don't work, then take it to the body shop to fix. Just be sure to drive there when the sun is up.

Quick Reply: anyone ever intall oem foglights?