2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

AC clutch not engaging properly.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 08:22 PM
Cali7312
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC clutch not engaging properly.

Okay I have a 01 Sport ORE. My brother sold it to me last year and two years ago it had AC. So I figure it has a leak. I put A/C Pro $50 stop leak in it and immediately after put 15oz of AC ion in it. Well the AC clutch wouldn't engage unless you push it with a stick while the engine is running and it will catch and start to spin.

I got new fuses and relays and nothing, I don't have a pressure gauge, I was going all other ways first and wanted to see if anyone has had similar problems.

I was gonna add another 15oz because it says it takes 1.85lbs which is 30z, and I was wondering if low ion levels would cause the clutch not to catch.

Thanks

Old 05-20-2013, 09:53 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

get one of these with the gauge and after using it - keep the gauge.
you have a low pressure and high pressure cut out switch - so if you are low, it won't engage.

don't dump liquid refrigerant into the system (by holding can upside down). follow the directions to check the pressure, jumper the low limit switch as needed to engage the compressor - and let it draw the gas slowly off the top of the can.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/EZ-Chill-M...Gauge/16930284

Old 05-21-2013, 08:16 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by Cali7312
Okay I have a 01 Sport ORE. My brother sold it to me last year and two years ago it had AC. So I figure it has a leak. I put A/C Pro $50 stop leak in it and immediately after put 15oz of AC ion in it. Well the AC clutch wouldn't engage unless you push it with a stick while the engine is running and it will catch and start to spin.

I got new fuses and relays and nothing, I don't have a pressure gauge, I was going all other ways first and wanted to see if anyone has had similar problems.

I was gonna add another 15oz because it says it takes 1.85lbs which is 30z, and I was wondering if low ion levels would cause the clutch not to catch.
Thanks
Sounds to me like you got a compressor going bad. It wither works or it don't. Low refrigerant pressure wont make it "sorta" work if pushed with a stick. Jump the low pressure switch and see if the clutch engauges and starts the compressor. If not, you got other problems.

Quick Reply: AC clutch not engaging properly.