2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dreaded plenum & other questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 09:36 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by corona4
will do.

i guess the timing is pretty simple. with (almost) everything apart....turn the crank until marks/dots line up, uninstall....re-install.

next question....

my ventilation fan inside the truck has never had any variation. it's either full blast...or nothing. any suggestions as the best way to problem solve this? where's the fan motor located? or is it more likely the switch in the dash is out? either way a shove in the right direction would be helpful, before i start mindlessly taking stuff apart.

thanks again
You've got a blower motor resistor that went out. It's right next to the blower on the HVAC unit under the passenger side dash. It's a pain to get out but you might have popped a solder point on the resistor due to crap build up. I had to re-solder the resistor on my dad's Ram due to the heat breaking the solder. While you've got it pulled out, yank your blower motor and clean crap out of it too.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:59 PM
corona4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds fun.

what am i looking for? does it all come out as one unit....or are there resistors in a box nearby that are wired in-line with the motor?

does it require taking the glove box and dash plastic out, or just getting your head/hands back in there to unscrew stuff between all the wires/crap?

Old 05-29-2013, 10:16 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Gimme 10 minutes...imma take a picture of my HVAC box and post it...

Old 05-29-2013, 10:24 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

That is what the connector looks like. The blower just has wires going in as its connector is behind the glove box. The camera turned it sideways. Hopefully you can see what's going on there. lol Remove the connector, take out two screws, and likely prepare for the falling of a ton of crap. lol

Old 05-30-2013, 12:27 AM
corona4

awesome. thank you sir

new plenum gasket should be here friday. hopefully come back with good news this weekend. or more likely 'i've broken every intake manifold bolt off......now what?'

Old 06-02-2013, 01:16 AM
corona4

so...started about 8:30am, finished up about 10:30pm. mostly solo.

went somewhat smoothly.
broke an intake manifold bolt, but there was enough thread sticking out to get it with vice grips after letting it soak in some lube.

the harmonic balance puller i rented wasn't for something that big...but i was able to modify the process some to get it off.

didn't know i'd need a strap wrench to get the fan clutch off....but did it with some vice grips. still gotta go back and fully tighten it with a strap wrench though.

broke/disconnected something associated with my windshield washer fluid bottle....cause it doesn't work anymore. will do some problem solving when its light out.

the amount of slack in the timing chain was pretty ridiculous. could move it well over an inch side to side.

first time i started it and let it idle up to operating temp....water started spewing out above the water pump. obviously was thinking the worst....'oh no, gotta take it all apart again tomorrow, something's broken or a gaskets not in right'....but i just hadn't tightened down the pipe clamp on the upper radiator hose where it meets the thermostat. never even needed to loosen it anyways. dummy.

good news is the truck runs fine, and is noticeably more powerful. took it out to a hill on a local highway where i always get bogged down and it was great. usually start around 55mph in 4th and gradually lose speed (even with foot on the floor) until i either get to the top around 45 or downshift to 3rd to keep up with traffic. tonight i just powered through the whole thing in 4th at 55 and probably could have accelerated to 60 if i put the foot down. really interested to see what kind of difference this makes in mpg.

oh, and the check engine light's off. still gotta check the backpressure at the cat though.

thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Dreaded plenum & other questions...