2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

97 ram 1500 leaking coolant like crazy. HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 06:05 PM
BrandonBuc'em
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 ram 1500 leaking coolant like crazy. HELP

ok so i was driving today, i turned the heat on very low, i started to smell coolant so i shut it off. when my passenger got in the truck she stated that something is leaking down from center of the console. she touched it, it was coolant. i pulled over, huge puddle of coolant leaking on passenger side. i instantly thought the heater core ****in bust in half for this much leaking. upon request i can post pictures but does anybody know based off these conditions noted its deffintly the heater core and how hard it is to replace? please help!

Old 05-24-2013, 06:08 PM
chromed95
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, sounds like the heater core. You had the huge puddle inside the cab or was it outside? Just a matter of taking the dash out to get to it. Haven't done it myself but its probably a couple hour job at least.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:12 PM
BrandonBuc'em
Veteran

both the interior and the outside. more so inside then the outside. prior to todays heater core busting its been leaking coolant. anything that could have lead up to this? what causes the core to go?

Old 05-24-2013, 06:22 PM
chromed95
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not exactly sure what leads up to it maybe just old and tired or they plug up and start leaking, but it seems like a common dodge thing just like the plenums. Mine went out about 6 or 7 years ago and I just took it to a shop for replacement. Wish I would of did it myself for cost reasons.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:38 PM
BrandonBuc'em
Veteran

i just bypassed the heater core. cut the inlet and outlet hoses and plugged the ends that go into the core at the firewall. and clamped the two hoses together. i dont need heat right now anyway.

Quick Reply: 97 ram 1500 leaking coolant like crazy. HELP