2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.9 No Start - Ran perfectly when shut off

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 07:15 PM
AdamCrosier
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.9 No Start - Ran perfectly when shut off

2001 Ram 1500 Quad Sport 5.9 4x4

I bought the truck a year and a half ago. All I have done to it is replace the belt tensioner and change the oil on schedule. It has been absolutely reliable, starts right away, no hesitation, no rough idle, just a perfect truck. I love my truck.

So I go out to start it, and it just cranks like there's no fuel. My gauge still read a 1/3 of a tank, but I threw in another gallon just in case. Still nothing. Cranks and cranks, not even an attempt to start.

I pressed on the port on the fuel rail. I got a few drips of fuel. I cranked the truck again and tried the valve again. This time nothing. I'd like to throw a gauge on it, but not even my FLAPS has one in stock, nor do any of my friends. I swapped the relay with the working horn, same results.

Otherwise, I haven't done much troubleshooting. 1) I haven't ever worked on this truck. 2) I had a TIA stroke a week ago. I'm still a bit weak from it, and just haven't had the energy to randomly try stuff.

I'm hoping either I can be pointed to an existing thread I can't seem to find (I found plenty of no-start conditions, but all had something leading up to the condition) or I could get a list of a few things to try in perhaps an "order of likeliness" so I'm not spinning my wheels too much. I don't usually have an issue spending time working on my vehicles, but I'm a bit apprehensive with never having been under the hood, and not having the strength to go experimenting right now.

Thanks so much in advance.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:37 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can try disconnecting the battery, letting the PCM train out of energy, and then reconnecting and trying to start. That's free at least

Other people with more knowledge than I will surely stop by son

Old 05-27-2013, 07:39 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

listen closely and turn the ignition key to on (not start). the fuel pump should come on with a whine sound for about 3 seconds. immediately after this, the port on the fuel rail should squirt when pressed. if not, its pointing toward no fuel pressure.

another simple test is to squirt some starting fluid down the air intake and see if it tries to fire. if so, its a second indicator of no fuel.

my local o'reillys rents fuel pressure testers. have you got one of those?

Old 05-27-2013, 08:13 PM
AdamCrosier

My O'Reilly's does loan tools, but doesn't have a pressure tester.

Just tried listening for the fuel pump noise with a friend. I couldn't guarantee I've ever heard it before, but he stuck his head under the tank and still no noise. And still no squirt at the port.

I read enough to be dangerous about the ASD. Since it kills the coil, if that were a problem, I would have no spark, right? We pulled a plug and checked for spark, which we have.

I really feel fuel pump right now, which isn't unreasonable after 210k. I know the relay is good, and I know I have no pressure. Is there anything else that is likely before I drop $200.00+ on a pump and bribe my friends to come drop my tank for me? With no obvious fuel pump noise, I think I'm just trying to talk myself out of the inevitable.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:21 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

check that it tries to run on starting fluid.

another good test, although not easy to do, is check for voltage at the fuel pump electrical connector. its on top of the tank.

fuel pump noise is pretty noticable if the starter is not turning.

i don't think the ASD will trip if it never fires up, so you should have spark since its trying to crank.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:32 PM
00SilverRam

A lot of times you can beat on the fuel tank and the vibration will make the fuel pump work temporarily. That is how I got my 2500 home after it quit working at the gas station... It was nice to get it home, but it would have been much easier if it had died at home or just about anywhere else BEFORE I had filled it up. Made dropping the tank and re-installing it a lot of fun...

Quick Reply: 5.9 No Start - Ran perfectly when shut off