2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Intermittent Stalling - Split Second

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 01:42 PM
DEWZRAM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent Stalling - Split Second

Hello -

I've had my Ram, which is a 2000 1500 QC 4x4 with the 5.9L and for the past 3 years (since I've owned it) I've had a slight intermittent stall. It is very random when it occurs, sometimes not at all, or sometimes 5 times a day. can happen at idle, or while driving 75 mph. It will stall for a split second, the RPM's cut out and then as quick as it does it, it comes back like nothing happened. Its never killed or stalled itself out, but this stall on the highway can be a bit alarming and startling if it hasn't occurred in a while. I've replaced plugs, cap, wires, and rotor twice now and spent hours routing plug wires so they are not touching at any point, still hasn't done a thing for this miss or stall. I've replaced an 02 sensor a while back that threw a code. I'm not experiencing severe oil consumption or pinging. Just curiuos as to what my top culprets could be at this point? Seems like most likely could be vacuume leak of some sort or fuel delivery/management issue right? Intake Gasket possibly? Or Fuel Pump/filter issue, or relay possibly? I'm just kinda at a loss since It's never thrown a code or left me stranded, so been very hard to pinpoint and fix.

Any thoughts or suggestions from those that have had the issues, will be much appreciated! Thanks!

Attached Images  
Old 05-29-2013, 02:49 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The crank sensor has a habit of doing what you describe. But not usually for 3 years. Check all sensor connections. Also check battery cables and as many ground wires as you can find. You might also check the PCM connectors(disconnect negative battery cable before doing so.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:31 PM
DEWZRAM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
The crank sensor has a habit of doing what you describe. But not usually for 3 years. Check all sensor connections. Also check battery cables and as many ground wires as you can find. You might also check the PCM connectors(disconnect negative battery cable before doing so.
Thanks Zman, appreciate the response. I'll check the grounds and sensor connections first. Then I might just do the CPS anyway since it's not all that expensive and easy to do.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:35 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Do not cheap out on that or any other sensors for that matter. Get at least Standard motor products brand. And disconnect the negative battery cable before cleaning or replacing any of the sensors.

Quick Reply: Intermittent Stalling - Split Second