2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

98 1500 4 x 4 , 5.9

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 01:37 PM
jetb
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gauis: SORRY! Misprint in previous post, It should have read -- IT DIDN'T STALL! But it was surging - pushing against the brake at lights, etc

MERC- Thanks for the link Man! Appreciate it greatly!!

Old 06-12-2013, 09:14 PM
jetb
Amateur

OK FIXED IT!!! Switched out the O2 sensor and put ina an NTK. While I was at it, did the TSB on spark plug wire routing and installed a new PCV valve. Still did the Momkey motion!

So I got PO's and said FRACK it! I metered every wire!! After 6 hours, it turned out to be....GROUND!! Both the engine and body ground was bad!! Took em off, cleaned them up at the mount points, Put in some new 4 gauge wire, new soldered on tips, and it runs slicker then a snake snot, sliding down a slippery slope sideways on a sultry Sunday!! Sheeett!! And all that work for nothing!!LOL LOL LOL

Thanks for all the suggestions and tips folks!!

Old 06-12-2013, 09:19 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, that just proves that it's the simplest stuff that will be the death of us.

Good that you finally found the problem and that it's running right as rain again.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:45 AM
jetb
Amateur
Default Freakin 5.9!!

OK! So SHOOT!! I gotta pull my foot outa my big fat yap!! Took the truck for a 3.5 hour run (one way) yesterday. Started it off at 8 in the morning, fairly cool. The sucker bucked a couple of times and then ran fine for the trip up and back.

Today started it up, it bucked a bit, then Kinda" ran ok. Took it out on the highy way and as I was picking up speed, it bcuked, the RPM's dropped ABOUt 100-200 rpm and picked up again. Was like the engine quit monmentarily. Pulled up to a stop light and as I accelerated away it did it again. I floored it and it miss fired once, let of on the ac celerator and it pic ked up.

Vacuum is ok, it collapsed the Spectre air filter!! Took that off, cleaned it and put it back on. Said FRACK IT! and ran another ground to the block AND another ground to the chassis. STILL has a slight surge to it!!

Talked to the Dodge mech, he said it "souynded" like the crankshaft Position Sensor was about to go FUBAR!! I dunno!! It's about a year- year and half old. I picked up an new one anyways! Will swap it out tomorrow- if the rain holds off!! Also ordered a new IAT sensor, since that was the only other one NOT swapped out on the |Engine. After I install the Crank Sensor, I'm going to pick up a new Inductive pick-up and they'll all be new!!

Anybody ever heard of a Crank Position Sensor throwing an engine into a monkey motion like this?? My experience has been they work, or they completely honk their guts!!

Suggestions??

Old 06-15-2013, 02:04 AM
Gaius
Veteran

Mine would do the same, about 10 minutes after starting. Then it was fine. Starting dying after that. Would restart after 2-4 minutes. New CPS fixed it.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:11 PM
jetb
Amateur
Default FRACKIN Crank Sensor!!

Originally Posted by Gaius
Mine would do the same, about 10 minutes after starting. Then it was fine. Starting dying after that. Would restart after 2-4 minutes. New CPS fixed it.
K! Finally got hold of a Snap-On scan tool. Hooked everything up and checked the Crankshaft Postion Sensor. Everything looked great with the scope set at 2ms. Dicob=nnected it, and the thing STILL ran!! Hooked it back up, and started shaking the crap outa the wires, everything looked fine. SO, I took a brass punch about 8 inches long, placed it in the mtal clamp where the sensor bolts to the back of the head and gave it a 'Love Tap " with a ball peen hammer! The siene wave jumped like a bugger and the truck started dieseling again! Bad news, only got about 8 months outa that sensor! Went to Dodge, and they had one in stick, 170.00! Looked at it and went to Aito Value and got the exact same one for 60.00 bucks.

Took me a while to get it replaced for a couple of reasons: 1) - I don't bend like I used to; and 2) it's been raining like it was trying to float Noah's ark here!! Anyways, got it changed and the truck runs great!

Damned, wonder why I only got 9 monyth's outa that sensor??

Anywyas, now I have to change the brakes, they just aren't working as well as I'd like em to!!

THANKS for all the help and suggestions folks!! Hard to believe that THREE garages with licesned mechanics and all the test gear, didn't pick that up!!

Then again, the neighbour is a mechanic and HE doesn't understand why I have a stehascope in my tool box!! Guess old fashioned troyuble shooting techniques are a thing of the past with the computers huh???

Quick Reply: 98 1500 4 x 4 , 5.9