2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

98 1500 4 x 4 , 5.9

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 07:56 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jetb
Merc: Duly noted! Will do.

Gaius: Yes Sir! I am aware of where the timing marks are. I have heard folks say that a timing lite while throw the PCM into a Monkey Motion!! Talked to the Dodge Mech today and he said they use the inductive pick up lights on the trucks all the time and it doesn't bther the PCM.

No I haven't crawled under there to look. I can't get down to do it! That's why I'm taking it to the garage!! I have limited mobility and if I get down, I can't get back up with out somebody around to haul my ugly **** off the ground!! I don't do UPs, I do downs. Down is a law!!LOL LOL LOL

I don't have a timing lite either and I'm just NOT in the mood to play silly bugger with this any more! If I have to throw more money at it, I want it fixed!!

Besides, where the hell do you find the timing setting for these buggers?? Haynes doesn even mention engine timing in their manual! At least NOT that I could find!!

Will let ya know what the garage finds out!
You don't set the timing on these trucks just by turning the distributor, turning the dizzy is a BAD idea.

Fuel sync with an expensive scanning tool is required....

Old 06-07-2013, 08:50 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Ignition timing isn't adjustable. It is completely controlled by the PCM.

Brake booster is a potential vacuum leak, that's why isolating it is important.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:36 PM
jetb
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Ignition timing isn't adjustable. It is completely controlled by the PCM.

Brake booster is a potential vacuum leak, that's why isolating it is important.
hey Yiu! Yeah, you are right!! I took it to the garage this morning. They said the timing was off a tooth. UNTIL I showed em the picture! They couldn't find the vacuum leak either!!

One of the mechs comments? ...BRAKES seem to be working weird- seems like only the front brakes are working and takes ALOT of pedla pressure. Guess I hadn't noticed it, the truck always felt 'heavy" on the brakes. So going to head to Auto Value and pick up a bunch of blanking plugs. Gonna block of each port to 1) See if the MAp increase and 2) see if I can eliminate OR narrow down where the leak is.

The mechanic said I was missing two O2 sensors, BUt he's wrong on that!! Every parts manual/ maintenance manual I've checked shows only TWO 1 Pre- Cat (or where the cat was) and 1 post cat( or where the cat was.) So he's full of "IT" on that one.

Another intersting point was, he said he picked up two transmission codes! P0753 - Shift A soliniod Electrical and P0743 - Torque converter clutch Circuit Electrical.

So it APPEARS there's more problems there then I was aware of! HOWEVER, my brother has a 97 Dodge with the 5.2. His CEL came on and when I used my scan tool on his, I did get the transmissiom codes, yet I'm not gettinga CEL NOR picking up a code with the exact same scan tool connected to mine!! Go figure!!

Oh, and the mech said, (You're gonna love this) WITHOUT the cat in the system, the O2 code will always come up!" ...Yeah right!! NOT

Still in La La land on this one!! Will keep you advised

Old 06-07-2013, 03:37 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as your brakes, have you adjusted the rears? I've noticed that whenever my truck takes more effort to stop, I have to adjust the rear brakes and everything is fine.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:38 PM
jetb
Amateur

Merc:

yes, i am aware that turning the distributor is kinda like farting in a thunderous rain storm. I wanted to verify the timing in idle. Just to see what it said! that's all. Thanks for the Heads-up though! Some times I can use a swift kick in the bouncing twins!! LO LOL

Old 06-07-2013, 04:00 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Merc:

yes, i am aware that turning the distributor is kinda like farting in a thunderous rain storm. I wanted to verify the timing in idle. Just to see what it said! that's all. Thanks for the Heads-up though! Some times I can use a swift kick in the bouncing twins!! LO LOL
Huh? I know you know not to turn the dizzy don't think I posted not to mess with it. Rear 02 cel can be solved with the use of non or anti foulers, small engine parts.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:44 PM
jetb
Amateur

Merc: Sorry Man. Was Stewie,not you!! FRACK! Short term memory loss!! When I was born, I had two choice.1) was be great Frackin OR 2) Have a great memory, so anyways I..........aw FRACK forgot wghat i was gonna say!! SHOOT!

On a side note. Disconnected the brake accumulator, hooked up the vacuum gauge. - She still reads 1bout 15.5. While I had it hooked up she went into her dieseling monkey motion again and the vacuum droped down to 5 then slowly came back up to 14. I THINK that's low!! IF memory serves me correctly (and it don't most of the time!) the vacuum should be somewhere around 17 to 20 ish??? But I haven't a clue how to correct for altitude!! I'm 4,200 fet above sea level so what it reads on the gauge MAY be right and I wouldn't know. Asked the mech at the garage today and he doesn't know either!!....FRACk I'm moving backwards!!

Old 06-07-2013, 09:41 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Merc: Sorry Man. Was Stewie,not you!! FRACK! Short term memory loss!! When I was born, I had two choice.1) was be great Frackin OR 2) Have a great memory, so anyways I..........aw FRACK forgot wghat i was gonna say!! SHOOT!

On a side note. Disconnected the brake accumulator, hooked up the vacuum gauge. - She still reads 1bout 15.5. While I had it hooked up she went into her dieseling monkey motion again and the vacuum droped down to 5 then slowly came back up to 14. I THINK that's low!! IF memory serves me correctly (and it don't most of the time!) the vacuum should be somewhere around 17 to 20 ish??? But I haven't a clue how to correct for altitude!! I'm 4,200 fet above sea level so what it reads on the gauge MAY be right and I wouldn't know. Asked the mech at the garage today and he doesn't know either!!....FRACk I'm moving backwards!!

On the altitude thing; C/P from http://www.gregsengine.com/using-a-vacuum-gauge.html good site go check it out.

Vacuum readings will vary according to the altitude in different localities. From sea level to 2,000 feet elevation all normal engines should show a vacuum reading between 17 to 21 inches. Above 2,000 feet elevation the vacuum reading will be about one (1) inch lower per each 1,000 feet rise in elevation.

Edit: What brand of IAC did you get as a replacement part? If Echlin take it out and toss it far far away, Ma Mopar for this stuff only.

Last edited by merc225hp; 06-07-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:52 AM
Gaius
Veteran

Did you get a chance to spray starting fluid over the intake manifold and throttle body? Don;t have to lay on the ground for that!

Old 06-08-2013, 08:53 PM
jetb
Amateur

Originally Posted by Gaius
Did you get a chance to spray starting fluid over the intake manifold and throttle body? Don;t have to lay on the ground for that!
Gaius: Yep! Spray 4 cans of throttle Body cleaner in there, 2 cans of WD 40. and a can of ether. The garage did two! They couldn't find it.

Going to build a smoke machine Monday and try that.

NOTthe IAC, had a buddy get in start it, tirned on the AC, radio and put it in gear, IAC is working.

Took it for a drive today. Did stall but it's surging like a bugger!! As I said, I'm stumped!! Ill keep playing with it next week. If I don't have it all fingered out bu the end of June, I'm tearing the engine and tranny out and rebuilding it!!

Screw it!! FRACK!!

Quick Reply: 98 1500 4 x 4 , 5.9